Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word the my Waldrons GT exhaust is on its way. Originally I was told two months but got it within one!

I have all the correct hangers from NPD but my car was originally a single exhaust car and the PO did a piss poor job converting it to dual. I have no correct factory holes for the hangers so I need to create them. Muffler hangers are easy. After I install the reinforcement plates, I can drill for the hangers. What about the hangers for the resonators? What is the best way to mark that up?

I have the correct GT trumpets but how far beyond the GT rear valance do they stick out?

The H pipe needs to be cut and attached to my headers and I have a muffler shop to do that. I could have them do the rest but whats the fun in that. Plus this way I know it was done "factory" correct.

Never installed an exhaust so any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Look in a 66 shop manual for info on time and length out.
When I had custom dual exhaust done on my 67 GT, I found tip position info in my 67 shop manual

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look in a 66 shop manual for info on time and length out.
When I had custom dual exhaust done on my 67 GT, I found tip position info in my 67 shop manual
Thanks. I remember seeing something i my shop manual but i thought is just had the clearance between the tips and the valance. I'll check again.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thanks. I remember seeing something i my shop manual but i thought is just had the clearance between the tips and the valance. I'll check again.
Just checked my '66 manual and found exactly that.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
The H pipe should connect to the exhaust pipes, NOT the headers...unless you are referring to the exhaust pipes and the cross (H) pipe making up the "H pipe". I always think of the H as the cross piece added to a standard dual exhaust.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
The rear hangers are easy. They should be centered between the tie down plate holes and the shackle eye, vertically centered on the frame rail. The holes should be in the center of the adjusting slots. Drilling them is a pain, especially on the left side. A 90° drill with a short drill bit should do the job. Factory dual cars had a spacer inside the rail to prevent crushing, but I didn't bother when I converted mine, 40 years ago. So far, so good.

I have the correct GT trumpets but how far beyond the GT rear valance do they stick out?

The weld where the pipe joins the stainless flare is directly above the nut inside the bottom center of the trim ring.

These are perfect:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @22GT ! I know mine didn't stick out that much before I removed them.

Also you're talking about the spring shackle correct?

Also, love your car. I may put my red line 14's back on. I'm liking that look again!

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Say, you aren't getting the Waldron Arvinode system, by any chance?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Say, you aren't getting the Waldron Arvinode system, by any chance?
I opted for the GT exhaust. Mufflers and resonators. I thought about the Arvinode but since it "typically" wouldn't have come on my 66, I opted for that. My car had mufflers without the resonators and I kind of liked the sound. I was going to put up a bunch of pictures when I get it. Should be delivered to my office on Monday.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My brother-in-law measured a supposed original GT years ago at Mustangs Unlimited (owner's car). Place straight edge vertically on end of trumpet. Measuring from straight edge to nearest contact with trim ring at 12:00 and 6:00 positions: 1.5" and 5", respectively. Can anyone confirm this?

My convertible has them in too far by ~1.75". Hate when people do that.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
You will invent some new cuss words before this is over.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got this AMK kit from NPD:

Long, gray bolts and nuts hang the trumpets to the frame rail, silver bolts bolt the mufflers to the hangers, I think the two small bolts are for the trumpet insulators to the L brackets. What are the two small machine screws and the 4 silver nuts for?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
do you have a lift?
why not take to a exhaust shop. they can do this in 90 minutes for whats going to take you 2 weekends of screaming and busted knuckles

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want a set I have a set I did not use.
If want them, I will make you a good deal.
I may take you up on that if i can't easily drill the holes for the hangers. count that as more than likely. I'll PM you this weekend.

do you have a lift?
why not take to a exhaust shop. they can do this in 90 minutes for whats going to take you 2 weekends of screaming and busted knuckles
No lift but I can get my car fairly high up on Raceramp Cribs. Plus this has been a bucket list thing. I like working on it. The muffler shop will handle hooking the front section to my headers and the rest is plug and play.......hopefully.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts