Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking at installing a new dual exhaust system on my 68 289 that i just recently put a set of tri y headers on, was wondering if anybody has had a good experience with kits from summit, flowmaster, etc. or if i should just look at having a local muffler shop install a custom system
Used Summit with turbo mufflers on my 72 351c.
Best bends I ever saw and firs fine.
Mufflers do not sound as deep as I would like, but no interior rumble like I wanted.
Good value.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I helped a friend install one of the generic summit kits on his 1979 Trans Am. It sounds good but was kind of a pain, had to cut some bits of it out and if you don't clean everything real well it likes to fall apart. The pipes were coated with something to prevent rusting I believe which caused them to slip apart even with the clamps tightened. He's still happy with it though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
On a different thread I asked about choosding between HiPo manifold and Hedman shorty headers. Got some good advice there.
Now my question is what is the advantage of the "H" pipe. Is it necessary and if so why?? Do kits come with the "H" pipe? Is an "H" pipe used on both HiPo manifolds and headers or just headers?
H pipes tend to quiet an exhaust and will usually give you a few HP and TQ over no crossover pipe.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts