Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it for a do-it-yourselfer like me to remove and replace an original exhaust manifold on a 170/6 cyl? I have the new replacement and gaskets. Car only has 44K on it but manifold is cracked. Wondering if I can do or should I take to local mechanic? Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Changing a exhaust manifold gasket is easy u can do it your self just get some wd-40 and you will be good

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
how do the bolts look? are they rusted and pitted? do you have quality six point sockets? do you have access to an oxy/acetylene set? you can do it yourself its not a difficult job if everything comes loose. there is always the risk of breaking bolts of in the head.(this is how i now own a nice 90deg air drill) post a pic of what the existing condition looks like and i'll have an easier time giving you a go no go answer depending on how knarly the manifold and bolts look.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
soak those old bolts with some PB blaster. let them soak a day or two before you try to remove them. use the shortest possible wrench to avoid likely breakage. after you break them loose soak them some more. do not get in a hurry to remove them. i also find that if you give a slight tug in the opposite direction of removal it helps to break them loose. after your get them out run a tap thru the bolt holes to clean out the crud. use anti seize compound on the new bolt threads and tighten them down evenly starting in the middle and working out to the ends......good luck!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
C7ZZ-F said:
soak those old bolts with some PB blaster. let them soak a day or two before you try to remove them. use the shortest possible wrench to avoid likely breakage. after you break them loose soak them some more. do not get in a hurry to remove them. i also find that if you give a slight tug in the opposite direction of removal it helps to break them loose. after your get them out run a tap thru the bolt holes to clean out the crud. use anti seize compound on the new bolt threads and tighten them down evenly starting in the middle and working out to the ends......good luck!

+1 on the PB blaster.

Get yourself a nice breaker bar and a chunk of pipe. You're going to need it.

I took mine off the 62 Falcon with two bolts broken off into the head which I had to drill out and tap but other than that no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts