Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my new exhaust system to line up and exit correctly. It's a kit from the manifolds back. Everything seems to fit together OK, but when we get to the tips they won't line up at the valance holes. I took it down to Midas (should be "mindless") this morning and the guy said it needed some of the pipes bent. OK...so go ahead, right? WRONG! "Our pipe bender's broken."

I wanted to say "Geez, you idiot! Why didn't you tell me that before I drove my car through rush hour traffic to be here at 0720." But I held my tongue and drove the rattletrap back home. Not much sounds worse than a loose exhaust system clanking down the road. AAAaaauuuuugh!

Anyway, what have the rest of you done to tweak your systems to fit right?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I hope you didn't tighten all the pipes up yet.?

Usually if you put the whole thing together you can tweek the pipes in/out/up/down to get it to line up. Now the pipes could be bent wrong from the factory to a not so great kit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tightened up anything yet. My son tells me the bend over the rear axle has too large a radius to allow the last piece with the tip to fit into the center of the hole. It will fit when twisted to the side...but of course the vents on the tip are at 90 degrees and the pipe itself is at an angle. The Mindless guy said it looke like the pipes up front were too close to the floor pan but we haven't heard them touching or felt anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts