Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the winter upgrades on the 69 convertible and fixing my low hanging and poorly routed exhaust is on the list.

Current is Hedman LT's (too low) dual exhaust (no H pipe) that hits the axle. Only thing I think I am going to reuse is mufflers (maybe) and tips, the rest is going to go.

Goal is headers, H pipe, duals in 2.5" tucked above convertible center plate and down the tunnel, straight tips out below valance. Would love to have it all tucked up tight so I don't see the whole exhaust from the side. Band clamps to allow for dis-assembly and to improve ground clearance.

Starting at the front, I need to replace the low hanging set of Hedman LT's. Talked with Pertronix (JBA/Doug's) tech line and they said the Doug's D690YS would work for me. I've got a mild 302 with stock heads, T5 swapped (kept original bellhousing and Muscle-Z z-bar setup). Ordered them up via Autozone (funny, right?) because they had a wicked $35 gift card for every $100 online spent.. so my $621 headers got me a $175 gift card! I think I am good here.

Next up is adding in an H pipe.. anyone have recommendations on one that will work with the Doug's? I shot a note to JBA to see if their's will but my guess is no since the JBA units hang differently. So any recommendations? Buy any old thing or is there one that mates nicely?

Pipes/Mufflers.. I need a pipe kit from H pipe out the back, I think I can keep the stock flowmasters I have and reuse them. They need to be cut loose and flipped over (inlets are outboard instead of inboard). There seems to be a bunch of options out there, any one better than the either? Car is summer driven, never snow, rain only if I get caught in it while cruising. Aluminized steel is fine, don't need stainless. Recommendations?

Hanging stuff, I order up the Classic Tube factory style floor plate/hanger/mount kit since mine was hanging off the seat belt bolts. Think I am set here too.

Lastly, any tips/tricks/hints/suggestions? Will be enlisting the help of a long time car guy (who has a lift, heh) to do the swap over but he's not a Mustang guy so any suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!
Wallyman

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, nobody? Someone has to be running the Doug's Tri-Y's and an H pipe..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have JBA Shorties and their H pipe (2.5") that is going to go into an aluminized factory type 2.25" Transverse muffler set up, but its all still in boxes. Sorry.
Thanks, though! I am going out of state for a week so I wanted to order up parts to ship while I am gone.. pretty much everything takes a week so I might as well use my down time. The headers arrived today, good looking pieces. Definitely different than the LT's I have which is a good thing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
What did you end up going with because I'm having issues with finding an exhaust that will fit with the convertible reinforcement plate under the front seats.

·
Registered
860 Posts

This is a "slightly" modified Pipes 2.5" stainless generic Mustang system that I'm fishing up on a '70 vert. There isn't a lot out there that fits off the shelf for convertibles. With a 302 (this is a 393W by the way) you should be good with 2.25" which would be easier to fit through the reinforcement area. I guess it really depends on what you're wanting to do with the car. If you can weld, its not too awfully difficult to do something custom.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Mvh, if you are willing to work at it, you can fit 3 inch pipes past the plate. It helps if you are willing to reshape the pipes abit where you go past the plate, you can also modify the plate or space it down just little. Lato's picture shows how nice in can look when finished. Don't settle for 2 & 1/4ths, thats not enough. You'll want to duplicate the offset in/ center out setup he is showing you. LSG

·
Registered
860 Posts
3" would be fun to install. A transition to 2.25"x3.5" oval tube would be the ticket to run a full 3" system through the reinforcement area without dropping the center plate, with room to spare.

·
Registered
828 Posts
3" would be fun to install. A transition to 2.25"x3.5" oval tube would be the ticket to run a full 3" system through the reinforcement area without dropping the center plate, with room to spare.
Never thought of the transition to oval to keep the flow up through there. Excellent idea. Would love to have a motor in mine that needed a 3" :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
3 inch all the way out back on my 69 convertible.
The Tri Bar rear suspension was very tight but it fits.
I modified the bolt in plate for more clearance with my driveline running 1350 U joints and larger diameter driveline.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CIMG1779.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts