Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together the parts list for phase 1 of the restoration of my coupe. I have found out that I am going to be short on funds for the exhaust. I cam across a system (still need to confirm) that I can afford for now. It is a JC Whitney special, I know I know. Here is the deal, SWMBO has set a budget to get the car on the road and a time frame so I really need an exhaust. Can you folks check this out and let me know what you think. Keep in mind that I plan a system with Tri Y headers and flowmasters as soon as the budget will allow. If anyone has any other suggestions for an inexpensive header/exhaust combo I am all ears.

Here is a link to the system that I am looking at Exhaust

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
I've had some of those cheap system rot out in a year.

I'd buy a system from Tony Branda, use the stock exhaust manifods for the time being, then as funds alow, buy a quality header.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
Check out this link:

CJ Pony

Why waste your money (Whitney stuff is typically substandard quality) and have to scrap stuff? The CJ Exhaust kit, including "H" pipe, and full exhaust system is $195. A set of Tri-Y's is $139 or $290 for ceramic coated. The JCW Flowtech headers are only $30 cheaper, then when you add in all the "accessories" the price goes up. The Flowtechs also don't fit manual trans cars, your bio doesn't say. Above everything else, the mufflers end up farther forward, making hangers and ground clearance an issue. Like my Dad said, "Do it right the first time!".

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor and trans combo is a 302 4bbl with a C4 auto from a 69 Fairlane 500. What I am not sure about with the JC setup is if that is the price for just the headers or the entire system (minus mufflers). The other option that I am considering is to get a set of Tri Y headers from VA Mustang for 140.00 and an H-Pipe for 45.00 and then just get a set of glass packs and have pipes bent to come out in front of the rear tires. I have a friend that used to do exhaust work (now Ford Mechanic) that has access to the equipment to bend the pipes for me. I figure the entire system would be in the 225.00 -250.00 range.

I only have about 900.00 for phase 1 and all of the other parts (not counting exhaust and tires is about 600.00 if I can get an exhaust for 250.00 that just leaves the tires and I think I can talk SWMBO into the extra $$$ for them. Thnaks for the help and the links. I hate the idea of not doing it right the first time, but With my situation I don't have a choice

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
if you are really that strapped for cash then go with exhaust manifolds and the glass packs exiting in front of the rear wheels, glasspacks are super cheap and by not going all the way out the back youl save money on pipe. you could also buy cheap knockoff mufflers like summit brand mufflers. although , i dont see why youd even waste the money NOW, by buying ANOTHER system later, all you did was blow money to begin with. i spent 350 bucks on my full flowmaster 2 1/2" system and that included a custom made X pipe

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That price is for the headers only. Dynomax makes a good turbo muffler that sounds good and it is not all that expensive($35 for Jeg's or Summit). I have this kit from JC Whitney and I am very pleased with it. JC Whitney Kit($99) I upgraded to 351W manifolds($10 from EHay) and went w/Hooker AeroFlo muffs($60 Jegs). The only part of the JC Whitney system I was able to use was the tailpipes because this setup if designed for full length headers. All the tubing is mandrel bent so it is 2.25" from tip-to-tip. Hedman makes a good set of headers for about $100(Jegs-Summit) and you can get a universial H-pipe kit for about $35 from Jegs-Summit also. There are a ton of options when it comes to exhaust, it just depends what you want to do. Do what you want the first time so you will not have to do it again later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts