Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car today & it did start fine but I noticed a Good amount of exhaust smoke coming between the manifold & pipe in the engine compartment. I tried to tighten the 2 bolts that hold the two pieces together but they were tight. What can be the problem. Is there a gasket or some kind of rubber between the two. I would like to know so that I can get the part & be ready for spring. It is a 6 cylinder. Thanks in advance for the any help
Joe

·
1,215 Posts
Generally between the bottom of the manifold and the pipe is a doughnut type piece that seals up the connection.

Not sure if it would suddenly start leaking, but maybe it has been there a while?

·
Registered
182 Posts
As Shaummy said, there is a doughnut between the manifold and exhaust pipe. The doughnut may be cracked or just no longer sealing the connection due to deterioration. Try to clean the threads on the bolts as much as possible. They can be a real bugger to get off.
Jeff

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Here ya go, years of experience from running a Midas shop: Yes, there is a gasket, and, the asbestos ones do deteriorate over time. and yes, the nuts do rust to the studs. Here are the tips:
1. Since you cannot/don't drive it in the winter, get some penetrating oil and give it a shot once a day for a week. Then use a 6 point socket (never a 12 point-it will strip)and attempt to tighten it. Make sure the socket goes on straight or you can round the nut.
2. Try to find an all metal gasket (doughnut) By the end of my carreer, they had metal gasket replacements for the soft popular sizes. Remember, the guy at the muffler shop will have to buy a box of 10, for a real slow moving item.
3. Nuts still don't move? Rent a torch set if you know how to use one. Heat the nuts up cherry red. They'll move now. Take them off, and get new nuts.
4. Take it in to a muffler shop that you trust. Now thats a hard thing to find.
5.Other details: occasionally, the pipe gets goofed up around where the gasket would sit. You might end up needing a pipe. The gasket area gets out of round and there is nothing you, or the muffler shop, can do about this. Just be prepared for this contigency.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help as I will try the removal suggested. I did look in the Mustangs unlimited catalog & saw a rubber one for $2.50. I will try to locate one locally after & if I can get the old nuts off. I am hoping that it wont be too hard as the engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago & I know that was off then. Thanks again for the suggestions . The car is outside under cover so it will be a while before I can really mess with it but I will keep spraying it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts