Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 fastback restomod that I finished,I used flowtech headers with a set of glasspacks,they exit in front of the rear tires like Shelbys,my question is there is no cross over pipe like the original shelby's, which gives the exhaust a different sound compared to my other with flowmasters,other then the sound would I benifit with adding it to my exhaust ,just wondering since the original shelby's didn't have them either,the car has a late model 5.0 with aluminum heads,dual quads w/a 5speed,thanks,Pete

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Your engine will run better at high RPMS if there's an X pipe or an H pipe. The X pipe is supposed to be the better of the two.

The idea is that crossing the pipes equalizes the pressure differences of the exhaust because the engine is not perfectly symmetrical.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If you are consider installing either one, do a seach on this site. It has been discussed many times and people have different opinions on them. You might determine that one is better than the other for your particular application or driving style (cruising, racing, autocross...).

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I prefer H to X pipe for most applications. It will change the sound of your car and smooth the exhaust note out some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts