Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be getting a new exhaust system soon and was considering glass packs. Would that be a good idea? And if so does anyone know of a good place to get some? If its a bad idea, should I go for 2 chamber Flows or what?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Glasspacks are extremely loud. thats about it. if you don't feel like being pulled over because of the nosie then go with a regular style muffler like a flowmaster or a some other sort of performance muffler. Here in santa clara we have a whole bunch of old people that sit near the phone and look out the windows to look for people breaking the law so i got pulled over a couple of times becuase they said it was too loud.(flowmaster 2 chamber) most of the cops said to keep it down while some gave warnings bu no fix-its(they can't anyways because its not loud enough according to my db meter)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
IMOP do not go with the glass packs. Sorry. They snap and sound like crap. A nice pair of flowmaster or turbo sytle mufflers will do wonders. :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
glasspack - glasscrap. they sound...."odd", they pop , and a performance muffler will offer you better HP and torque anyways. technology has come a long way since the glasspack days . and yeah i agree, youl probably get pulled over bc of them too. i have two chamber flows, but i had an X pipe installed and it made things much quieter sounding, and a whole lot cleaner. i love the pitch

·
Registered
989 Posts
The exhaust system you need depends on the demands of the motor. For example here is mine using MAGNAFLOW mufflers.
See it all here http://jmichael.info/SHELBY

Doc the moneymanager
http://moneymanagment.info/magnaflowmufflers.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
dynamax turbos they are cheaper than flowmasters and flow better. they give a real nice rumble also. not to loud not to soft..i just put them on mine. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Glasspacks sound cheap? like crap? Hmmm, I'll make sure to forward those types of comments to the guys who own Borlas, Edelbrock, Hooker aerochamber, allied, Vinyard and dynomax units just to name a few.

The bullet shape sound absorbing muffler is typically the best flowing, generally good deep sounding unit made and commonly referred to as a "glasspack", of which each of the above companies make. A cheap unit will sound just that way...cheap, tinny, poppy, etc (cherry bomb for example). A more expensive unit will have either a deep to moderate rumble or a straight deep throaty tone, but seldom both. Now I don't want to say that cheap is referring to price, since Allied makes a very nice unit, cost around $20-$30 each, or you can spend really big bucks and buy Borla's cylindrical units (glasspacks also) for $150+ each. Each one has a slightly varied design that promotes a particular sond compared to another, ultimately, it is the setup of your engine combined with the muffler that will produce the final effect......try it befor you buy at the muffler shop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts