Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the GT trumpets on my 66. One of them blew the slat piece out, and I believe they are overly restrictive.

Have any of you done alternate exhaust tips through the GT valence? What looks and works well? Where can I get them? Will straight or bevelled tips soot up my valence and bumper? Anybody have pics of their setup?

ps: I'm running 2" exhaust through Flowmasters & Tri-Y's

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Dan - Someone over on the old forum (can't recall who) had a picture of his car on his personal site that had chrome 'slash cut' tips portruding thru the valence. They looked very much like the the tips on an 87-93 5.0 LX.

I thought it worked very well.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

G

·
0 Posts
I'd say any decent looking (chrome) slant cut tip would look fine. Just make sure that it's fairly close to the same size as the cutouts for the exhaust.. It's a 3" cutout, right?

'65 Coupe ***Total Project***
Current Stats: Dead 200 six, C4, surface rust, hole in the floorpan :)

Plans: Tremec TKO, 351C, MII front suspension, no shock towers :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
IMHO, slant-cut chrome tips would look the best.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12109501&p=45219402.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Dan - I still say buy a set of repro trumpets (or one replacement) and use a putty knife or something to bend the slats flat. You get an original look with probably a lot less restriction (outside of tube size reduction) . Just my .02 Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Dan..........
I put a GT valence on my coupe and used 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" (OF memory) slash-cut tips on it. I am really happy with the look. Better than hanging the pipes under the valence and way less restrictive than the trumpets. It will be a little louder, though.
I think that I have a picture at home which I will e-mail tonight, if I can find it.

Bill Headley
64.5 "D" Coupe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts