Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed dual exhaust a few months ago. I now have a nice 2 1/2" aluminized system with h-pipe and Super Turbo mufflers. At the time, I decided I wanted a "subtle, understated" look, so I had them turn the pipes up and then back down right before the valence, so they are tucked away all nice and neat. with only a hint of them peaking out.

After all the work was done, and I was talking with a certain forum member, the error of my ways was revealed. I was told by this member that a 1970 Mustang with a 351C has no chance at being "subtle or understated." Immediately realizing that subtle on this car was the equivalent of hiding an elephant under a beanie, I have decided that I now need a new valence w/ exhaust cut-outs, and I also need to cut off the tips that are there in favor of some type of trumpet. Fortunately there tailpipes that were installed line up perfectly with the exhaust openings on an "exhaust valence," and all that really should be involved (famous last words) is lopping off x inches of tailpipe and bolting on the trumpet. The only decision to make is whether I want 1970 Mach1 trumpets, or if I want to go with the 1969 GT trupmets.

Like I said, famous last words.

I leafed through my catalogs, and found the trumpets I am favoring (the 69 GT ones). Salty buggers, but they look cool, so the cost/benefit analysis is irrelevant /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Call up, order, and as I give the man the last 4 digits of my credit card, I scan the listing again.... noooo....

2 1/4" exhaust trumpets. Damn...

If you have read this far, I thank you, as most people would have moved on, for this post was 10 times longer than it needed to be... I just felt like being an author this morning. But before you go, where can I get 69 GT style trumpets for 2 1/2" exhaust?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
A good muffler shop should be able to make a 2 1/2-2 1/4 reducer. Just have to cut back a bit farther. Hate to pinch it off at the end, but if that's the look you want.......

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
BTW where did you find a set of repo 70 tips. The one set i saw were not very close to original.
You can always take the 2 1/4 tips and have them enlarged to 2 1/2. any shop should be able to do it.
I saw a LH NOS rolled tip on ehay a couple of weeks ago selling for over $295. 600 buck foor tips OUCH

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont want reducers... icky... blech...

I will probably go for an aftermarket set of quad tips of some off brand. As long as they are just plain chrome, I am happy.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yup.. Those are the ones I saw. The only repos I have seen yet. They are somewhat close. Slash angle is wrong and they are too wide or tall. Can't remember which one. Kinda pricey at $108 a pair plus shipping.
I am working on having a set made out of SS. The part you see outside the valance should be exact repos. I'll let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I have the non-rolled tips. Since your car isn't "correct" anyway, why bother getting the rolled tips? They just cost more and the rolled ones look more wimpy. Don't get a reducer. My exhaust guy just flared the ends of my tips to match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts