Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about tax return time and this year the exhaust system will get upgraded. I've narrowed by header choice down to either Doug's, Doug Thorley's or Ford Powertrain Applications. The question I have is about the rest of the system. Since it will go on a convertible, how well will dual 2.25" pipes fit as opposed to 2.5" in the driveshaft tunnel? Also, any real performance difference? If not I'll go with the 2.25". Didn't plan on using mandrel bends so maybe better to go with 2.5" pipes. What size do you think I should go with?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
From the looks of your car I'm guessing you don't have a HIGH horsepower engine, in which case you'll not likely notice a power benefit from going to the larger 2.5" pipe. What you might notice with the 2.5" pipe, in fact, is a loss of off-idle power and more noise and/or droning. Your comment about not using mandrel bends is a bit confusing as it seems to suggest that you'll have an easier time fitting the larger pipe. At any rate, my suggestion is that you let a local shop build a system for you (rather than buying a kit). You may pay a bit more but you'll leave knowing that any issues that arise (rattles or leaks) will be taken care of with no further expense.

- Gord

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also looking at the exact set of headers for my exhaust. Please let me know which ones you choose and why. I was set on the FPA headers until I saw a set of Doug's tri-y's. They look pretty sweet and LOOK like they would flow well from it's design. I really like the FPA headers as well. The Thorley's don't do much for me and the design looks like they could be restrictive at the Y part. I plan on going with 2.25 as my engine is not a real performance type. Also, you do need a certain amount of backpressure from what I am told.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I've decided. Doug's Headers (690YS), Summit just started carrying the line. The price looks to be a good $150 cheaper then then FPAs and the primary pipe is 1 5/8 compared to 1 1/2 (not a big deal for my engine yet though). Also noticed that the FPAs use ball and socket collector which probably seals better but not worth the additional cost IMO. Now just need to wait for the govt to pay me for my tax return.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts