Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little extra time on my hands, I might as well isolate in the garage and get some projects done. Have been wanting to add air conditioning to a non AC car. Heater core is shot and was leaking. Wanted to see if I could get some feedback on the Classic Auto Air vs Vintage Air Surefit systems for a 67 Mustang Convertible. They seem almost identical. This is not a concourse car and I drive it on the weekends. Would like for it to appear as if it came from the factory, inside and under the hood.

Questions on installation, fitment, reliability and differences between the systems? Any extra parts needed or desired that are not included? I have a 289 auto with PS pump, so curious how that impacts the installation. I did see some old discussions, but wanted to get an updated view point. Any photos of interior or under hood would be appreciated. Lastly, opinion/impression with the plastic vents vs trying to source original in dash and under dash vents?

Thank you,

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm very happy with my CAA unit in my '68. Nice and helpful folks there the couple of times I called.

I would probably prefer the original vents, the ones that come with it are just OK. The center vents only adjust left/right and not up/down which is kinda lame. I like that I can still use the original heater controls for it.

I did need to get a throttle solenoid to keep the engine from wanting to stall at idle when the compressor kicks on. Can't help you with installation since I had a shop do it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The install on a finished driving mustang is pretty straight forward, tedious but doable. One problem I had was the vent hoses sent were to short so I ordered a 10 foot section from Amazon. Another issue was the lower vent eyeballs supplied suck large time. While the passenger eyeball would work there was no way to make the drivers side work as I elected to keep the fresh air vent. I tossed the supplied eyeball vents in the trash and ordered repro 67 vents from WCCC. These are blems (the chrome is not perfect) but for a daily driver they are absolute works of art. I have not charged the system yet, but it holds vacuum for 3 weeks so I'm thinking no leaks.
Were I to do this again I would source all the parts to install the original 67 A/C inside the car and modern stuff forward of the firewall.
The CAA is a universal fit adapted to work in the 67 Mustang.
Bottom line: I would not go this route again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. You mentioned one of my concerns about losing the fresh air vent. I like your idea of sourcing all the original parts, but felt that would be a monumental task to find them and make them all work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Classic auto air in Tampa and other vendors can provide you with reproductions or refurbished components of the entire system. I would do exactly what RV6 suggests, keep it stock on the inside and use a modern pump and condenser ahead of the firewall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the Old Air Systems kit for my 1967, installation was fairly easy. It uses repop vents that look original on each side and the center vent looks close to original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts