·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Ive asked for the proper way to "prepare" a car for an accurate
dipstick reading of the C4 tranny.
I know that this sounds silly, but I just wanted to make sure that
Theres nothing wrong, the way I do it, as I need a real accurate reading.

Anyway, today Ive checked (again) and it appears like it is as I have expected it.
Not enough ATF (=LEAK-NOT OVERFILLED). /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

What are your experiences with the C4 dipstick readings?

There are 3 holes on mine. One seems to be the "max" ("dont add"), then there is the "add" mark and two more holes that seem to have no purpose for reading the level.

Now, as far as I can tell, the ATF only reaches the last hole (that has no purpose) on the dipstick.
I guess you would agree that this means it isnt enough ATF in there.

What is the absolute min. level to operate the C4 without problems? (judging by the dipstick-reading)

Also, once again for the proper "preparation" (in other words, getting the tranny "hot" for a proper reading).
Is it necessary to go thru all gears? Ive only used "reverse" and "green dot" prior to reading it.
Somewhere Ive read that you have to go thru all gears. Hmmm... .

Thanks,
Nick

G

·
0 Posts
The process is really very basic: warm-up the engine; park on a level site; check the dipstick. If the level is in the add range, add a quart of ATF fluid, or part of one at first. The amount of fluid you have in the transmission doesn't have to be the perfect amount. The main concern is not to run it too low of fluid.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but what is not "too low"? I mean the markings on the dipstick show the "perfect" level, if its between "add" and "dont add".
But what level (mark on the dipstick) would be still acceptable/be the min. level?
Is the "add" mark really as low as it can be, without harming the tranny?
Does anyone have any experiences?

In any case it looks like Im having a leaking tranny (again).
I thought i might have overfilled it, and that this was the reason for its "leaking".
But as it looks like the fluid level is far from being overfilled, Im afraid some gasket is the problem.
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts