Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey VMF,
The ignition switch in my daughters 66 coupe fell to pieces.
She went to start it and it broke into two pieces that I can see in the dark and fell to the lip behind the dash. I will go pick it up in the morning, can any body tell me which wires to jump under the hood to keep it running? I am hoping I can connect up a wire or two and cross the solenoid (hot wire it) then drive it home. It has a pertronics ignition by the way.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Take a wire and run it from the positive battery cable (or big post on the starter selonoid) to the + side of the coil. The engine is now "on". Now jumper a wire between the + side of the battery and "S" post of the selonoid (one closest to the front of the car). This will start it. As soon as it starts, remove this second jumper. To turn the engine off, you'll have to remove the first jumper.

You'll have no guauges or anything electrical that works with the key, but all your exterior lights will work (sans turn signals).

The second jumper is easiest done with a remote starter if you have one.

This post reminds me of the time my son's brand new ignition switch did the same thing in his '65. He and his buddies stood in amazement as I came over, hot wired it using the above instructions in about 10 seconds and drove it home ::

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
But wont the steering wheel still be locked?

PS: You just shot down my idea of getting a kill switch...I thought they would all work. :: Thanks though!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nope. The early Mustangs had the key in the dash and didn't lock/unlock the steering wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts