Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found about 15 different Explorers/Mountaineers with in 50 miles form me. Put in 1999 explorer in car-part.com. Question is how do I choose. Mileages are anywhere from 49,000 up to 200,000. How should I focus my search? year, miles,are both blocks for Explorer and Mountaineer the same?????? Also when I call what should I be asking about. Never bought a used junkyard motor before.

Attachments

Reactions: MrMagoo

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a crapshoot either way. A lower mileage motor may have had a crappy owner that never changed the oil. Whereas a 150k mile motor may look brand new because it was owned by a fanatic. Ideally, if you can hear any of them run, then that's better. Ultimately, you never really know.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a hard time believing a 20 year old Explorer with under 50k miles. Could be true but...

Reactions: Russstang

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
20,999 Posts
These motors use low tension piston rings and EFI. Between the two cylinder wall wear is significantly reduced. @2nd 66 said his cylinders had crosshatching at 118k that I picked up for him at half price day. Guys have said even at 200k there still some crosshatching. I guess it'll come down to price and mileage. One reason I went used junkyard was really how many miles will I put on it? It's not a DD. Even still if I had a 200k mile motor with another 100k left, back in the day a typical 289 would be pretty used up at 100k.

·
Registered
603 Posts
When I bought mine I wasn't overly concerned with the year or miles because I intended to tear it down and check for wear and rebuild if need be. If I was intending to just swap the motors out without doing any work to it that wasn't absolutely necessary, I probably would have tried to find one with mileage below 150k and even then I would have preferred one that was stored inside, looked relatively clean, and I'd probably check the exhaust manifolds for oily black residue.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,277 Posts
I always try to find one that's been wrecked. At least it was running at the time of the accident.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which everyone I get, it will be completely torn down, so does it really matter which one? Are the blocks all the same from ‘97 thru ‘00?

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
If I was looking I'd pick the one that looked like it was taken care of the best and the heck with the mileage. If it was treated right and well maintained (oil changes, air filter changes, pcv serviced) internal engine wear should be at a minimum. See if anybody has service records... those are probably the ones you want.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,277 Posts
Iirc the early ones had gt40 heads then they switched to the gt40p heads. The p heads requires different exhaust.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have a '00 explorer 302 that I rebuilt to use in my 71 f100. it had north of 150k on it and when I tore it down the crosshatch was like it was done yesterday. I did rings and bearings for good measure.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
These motors use low tension piston rings and EFI. Between the two cylinder wall wear is significantly reduced. @2nd 66 said his cylinders had crosshatching at 118k that I picked up for him at half price day. Guys have said even at 200k there still some crosshatching. I guess it'll come down to price and mileage. One reason I went used junkyard was really how many miles will I put on it? It's not a DD. Even still if I had a 200k mile motor with another 100k left, back in the day a typical 289 would be pretty used up at 100k.
true story (y)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
No explanation to go with that ?
Sorry, thought everyone knew already. I purchased it from the QA manager from the Cleveland Ford plant who had bought several off the assembly line. He was a drag racer and didn’t need this one. Complete engine sans ECU that was run on the Ford dyno only. Been on an engine stand in my late dad’s shop and now my barn for 20 years.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Sorry, thought everyone knew already. I purchased it from the QA manager from the Cleveland Ford plant who had bought several off the assembly line. He was a drag racer and didn’t need this one. Complete engine sans ECU that was run on the Ford dyno only. Been on an engine stand in my late dad’s shop and now my barn for 20 years.
You're right, that does sound familiar !

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wanna sell it!?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a '00 explorer 302 that I rebuilt to use in my 71 f100. it had north of 150k on it and when I tore it down the crosshatch was like it was done yesterday. I did rings and bearings for good measure.
Got a '98 with 160k, cylinder walls looked new. The donor was rear ended so I figured it wasn't there because of the motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts