Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a post today where someone mentioned stripping the breaks off of a late model explorer and then bolting the system right onto the mustang axle.

Has anyone done this?

If so, which years will work and is there any modification I should be thinking about?

As a note, I have power disc breaks in the front of my car, along with drums in the back.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If the axle bearing size and bolt pattern are the same then they should bolt right up. You'd probably need to add a proportioning valve to your brake system. Currie sells 99 Explorer disc kits, $379 for both sides, not a bad price. Pulling a set from a junk yard would probably cut that price in half, I'm guessing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a tempting swap, I have a 69 Mach as well, except with 31 spline axles. Has anyone here done the swap and noticed a big difference?

·
Administrator
19,358 Posts
I won't swear as to what fits what here, but I will offer my observations. When I first heard about the Explorer disk swap, I couldn't wait to find one in the junkyard. I finally did and was unimpressed. These are pretty minimal brakes. Smallish calipers on small diameter rotor. The rotor is not even vented. They appear barely adequate for a street driver (or the Explorers). I've noticed VERY similar brakes on late-model S10 Blazers. Drum brakes are not that bad. If you've done the upgrade to the big (old Galaxy or 80 F100) drums, I doubt you'd gain any braking performance. Just my opinion here.
I recently learned about Lincoln Mark 7 disk swap. I've bought the complete setup off one, have yet to go pick it up.
These brakes have larger calipers and pads, and larger directionally vented rotors. To give you an idea, picture front disk brakes from an old Pinto next to the front disk setup on a late model Mustang GT. Come to think of it, I SHOULD go take some pictures.
Alaroque used rear disks from a 78 (or so) Cadillac Fleetwood.
Older technology, but these brake were meant to stop a car that weighs 1000 lbs more than the Mustang. They look pretty healthy and should give good performance. You'd have to ask Aaron, I've collected some of these parts, but have dropped the idea since I found out I could get the same results with FoMoCo parts.
I like to save money but I'm also building a performance oriented car. I'm going with the healthiest brakes I can on a budget. I don't think the Explorer brakes will cut it.
If we have any brake experts/engineers, differing opinions and more info won't offend me in the least. If there is something that works great for a great price I like to know.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't see how they can work on a Mustang. The bolt pattern on the backing plates is different from the Mustang's, and the diameter of the hole that centers the drum on the axle hub is larger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts