Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't get my new curved monte carlo bar in. It was 'too big' so I posted and asked whether to cut and reweld or spread it somehow. I had a suggestion to jack up the car by the center support for a couple of days and put it in when it spreads. It didn't spread. Can anyone give the measurement of their monte carlo bar and the measurement of the top distance from side to side?
Thanx in advance,
67' convertible

G

·
0 Posts
I would think your car is pinched, and you'll need to spread the fenders back out. I used a steel pipe and jack - said a prayer, 1/2 hour later it was in!

·
Registered
553 Posts
jacking the car up in the front should help. if it is extreme i have heard of people jacking the the front up a few inches and then gently tapping a length of 2x4 down between the shock towers to spread them enough to slip the monte carlo bar in there. then remove the 2x4 of course, otherwise that would be a few MCA points deducted if not. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I worked it out. I disconnect the export brace completely, jacked up the front end on center support, then used my lead hammer,( and a rag for less scratching,). I bolted the one side in and then lightly tapped the other side in. I put a one piece export brace at the same time so I got to repaint the whole assembly. Thanx for the replies.
Gordy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts