Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to put an export brace and/or monte carlo bar on my 1965 mustang convertilbe with a 289 engine and factory air? If so, why? The car presently drives and handles great. Will both of these items fit on my convertible? Some parts books state that a monte carlo bar will not fit when you have air conditioning. The car presently has the stock braces installed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yes the export brace will definetly work with ac and the monte c bar should work on your 289 if you get the curved bar. not sure, but i hope you can because im planning on the same buy for my 66 conv with ac

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
You don't need no stinking AC in a Vert...

;)

Slade

·
Registered
616 Posts
I seem to recall a post some time ago concerning the use of the later motor mounts that caused a problem with the monte carlo bar and the AC compressor. Basically the monts raised the engine a bit too high. It may be that the curved bar will (or did) resolve the issue.
At any rate, both are a good investment. You may also need to pay attention to your alignment afterwards if you had any difficulty in the monte carlo bar install. It is sometimes necessary to jack up the car in the front center to alow the front end to spread apart overnight to get the bar in.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
IIRC, the MC bar won't fit with the stock A/C compressor. But i probly don't remember too well. If it doesn't fit, you can always return it. ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The only time you need AC in a vert is when it rains and is still hot as heck outside.

I grew up in the South so I know about the heat...and I still only used AC when it rained and I drove a vert.

Slade

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do use the air in my vert very often and it feels great here in San Antonio, TX. In fact, most (including convertibles) classic early Mustangs here in San Antonio have air--a real plus when selling around here. In the heat of the day I use air and put the top down in the evening for a cruise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts