Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives but can't find an answer. I'm about to install a Scott Drake export bar and would like to know what diameter bolts to use.

Should the hole diameters be slightly larger than the bolt diameters? Or the same size?

The stock brace and cowl holes are 7/16" diameter and secured with 3/8" diameter bolts. The export brace cowl holes are 12 mm diameter (about 15/32"). Should I enlarge the cowl holes to 12 mm and use 7/16" bolts or enlarge the cowl holes to 12 mm and use 12 mm bolts?

The stock shock tower bolts are 5/16" diameter and the export brace shock tower bolt holes are 7/16". Should I use 3/8" or 7/16" bolts?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I reused the stock bolts. It's not likely that all of the holes will line up perfectly. Skinnier bolts give some wiggle room needed to fasten everything together.

·
Registered
97 Posts
These are designed to use the stock size bolts. If you have any bolts that are missing, let me know what year your car is and we will check one of our vehicles to see what that size should be. Thanks - Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim,
It's a 1965 Fastback. No bolts are missing. I removed a cowl bolt to see what size the holes and bolts are.
Thanks.
Dan

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Export brace

They are all right- use stock bolts!
Easiest way to install brace- jack up car using brace under engine, until wheels hang.
Place ends of brace at shock towers and lightly tighten nuts on tower bolts
Use long threaded rod and place thru hole in brace and corresponding hole in firewall
Start tightening bolts on rod until it pulls brace down to firewall and drop in other bolts
Remove nuts and place shock tower back on and finish tightening nuts.

Some fit easily and some will be way out of alignment. If that's the case, make sure you have the front aligned when done.
We had 1 69 428 car that required 4 people hanging on fenders and a port-a-power to spread the fenders enough to get the brace on! Some are WAY OUT!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts