Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an export brace I 'd like to install, but I'm not sure what's involved...My body guy suggested that he do it because the car may have sagged inward over the years, thus not allowing the mounting holes to line up.He has some type of spreader bar to deal with this. Also, when the 3 bolts on each tower are loosened what happens??are theshock absorber and coil released?? thanks, L

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Just the shock absorber top mount is released, not the coil spring. By jacking the car up from the center crossmember, you can (with a little bit of work) get the export brace to line up more often than not with a prybar. Loosely connect the brace to the firewall first and then start working/aligning the shock tower bolts. Keep everything loose until the last bolt is lined up.

Dave

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yeah, you don't need to pay someone to install the export brace. Most of the time it just bolts right in, but if not, then jack up the front suspension and let it sag for a few days then it will slip right in.

G

·
Mine fell right in over shock caps. Iwas off at the firewall though. I jacked the car up as far back as I was comfortable with and let it sit overnight. I then used a long screwdriver to align the holes on the firewall. I put one bolt in and tightened, then the others went right in. I was amazed that installing an export brace and monte carlo bar changed my door gaps!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Between jacking up my 65 and using a makeshift spreader, I finally was able to install my Monte Carlo bar. Once it was in place, the Scott Drake Export Brace fell into place.

I had to push my shock towers apart about 3/8 of an inch.

Nothing came flying apart when I removed the shock tower caps.

I wasn't sure if I could do it, but after reading others' experiences on this forum, I decided to try it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I installed an export brace on my 68 years ago and it wasn't that hard.

Just remember to get the front end realinged if you have to move the shock towers a bit.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I have a question that goes along with the Export Brace question. When is it best to install the export brace? I just installed my engine and still have to get everything setup (carb, wiring, radiator, etc.). Is it best to wait until after you have all of that set up or if you need to do some prying, is it better to have all of that out of the engine compartment? Thanks

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Put everything else in first, then the export brace. If it doesn't just "drop in" (mine did not) then put on the shock mounts first and use a big punch to pull the firewall holes into place one at a time.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Odds are the problem will lie in getting both shock mounts on even without the firewall holes. When the shock towers sag, the export brace width from shock tower to shock tower is wider and you have to mount one end at the shock tower and then pry the other end onto the other shock tower mount. This was my difficulty anyways. Below is a picture (stolen from Stangnet) of a way people mount the monte carlo bar, but moving the jack lower on the shock towers will allow you to spread out the towers in order to install the export brace

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yikes, that looks like a receipe for scratched fenders

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Although many folks don't bother with this step, Ford installed a reinforcement plate at the cowl prior to installing the export brace. The purpose was to keep the back end of the brace from rubbing a groove into or through the cowl. The plate is reproduced and sold through NPD and other catalogs. I used a piece of angle iron and made my own.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks everyone for suggestions. I will give it a try first thing tomorrow and will report back Sunday on my success, :pirate: .
I don't see any reporting back on this thread after 6+ years...

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Well, maybe, youse guys scared him? Ha, Ha,......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts