Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, we finally got the export brace installed on my fastback. We put the front cross-member on and jacked the front end up, but that didn't help enough as we still were off by about an inch. So, we tried another approach--namely a 2x4 and a bottle jack. Take a look at my webpage below, it worked like a charm. No damage to the engine bay and the export brace fits beautifully. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.tucsonpony.com/Troubleengine4

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Whatever works! Actually, at the shop we had to use the same approach with a few cars. Wish I would have seen your post with the problem sooner, but (usually) just jacking it up on the crossmember does the trick. BTW, this is one instance I can honestly say "I'd like to be in Trouble."

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After we got the brace in, we laid the hood in place and it lines up just great. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Now we can get serious about doing some painting. The best part is I don't have to use one of the modern types of adjustable export braces. They're okay, but that's not the look I want in Trouble's engine bay. Didn't need the extra expense, either. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics. Do your bolts in the shock tower sit all the way in their seats? One of my is not exactly all the way in and am ondering if it's normal.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean the three bolts that slide into place? They're adjustable so they may not all be in all the way. I'm pretty sure on my coupe that some don't sit all the way over. The export brace is just on temporaily on the fastback as we have to remove it to paint the cowl lip. Seems to me that the bolts on that car do aren't all way in the seats. As long as the fit is secure and the bolts won't pull out you should be okay.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That makes sense... thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts