Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Export Brace: Markers of an Original versus the "Deep Groove Stamped" Reproduction

I am trying to determine what markers to look for on the difference between the original export braces and the various reproductions.

I know the initial reproductions had very shallow stampings and were a thinner gage, versus the original with much deeper grooves.

However, the Scott Drake Concours claims to be heavier gauge steel with deep grooves like the original.

Scott Drake Store - 64-70 Concours Export Brace (Black)

Short of finding one in the Ford Box with the Ford Stickers, what are the markers to differentiate the originals.

The price for originals is pretty steep, and I want to ensure it is real not reproduction:

NOS OEM Ford 1965 1970 Mustang Export Brace 1966 1967 1968 1969 GT Mach 1 Shelby | eBay

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Never seen a NOS one on a box. They are usually loose, with a label indicating what PDC
they came through. (the kind with the glue that's a PITA to remove)

The last one I got through a dealer was right before Ford pulled the plug on them.
The dealer ones vary in thickness around the brace.... 0.142-0.165"

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This is a case where I would buy the Scott Drake over the other one you have pictured. I don't often say that .The one offered by Stillwell "may" have come from Ford but it is a VERY poor looking part. Save yourself some grief by getting the part that looks correct like the Drake copy.
Randy

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Ah, watchout on Ebay with buying so-called "Shelby parts" from a certain person in North Carolina. Seems it is always B/S, and often shown with a B/S sort of NOS box that has no relation to the part. He knows who he is, and, he is quite unpopular at the SAACforum.
You can do a search there for examples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seperate question. Where can i get and export brace kit for a 1971 mustang. i cant seem to get that year

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Seperate question. Where can i get and export brace kit for a 1971 mustang. i cant seem to get that year
The C5ZZ-16A052-E part only does 65-70's.
I'm trying to think of what we did on the 1972 race car..... I want to to say that we built it custom. 1992 was a long
time ago. That car was in the shop during the Rodney King riots. The kind of design we used is in the photo below.
The one you see is for the 65/66 but it's the same basic idea.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have 2 oem service part braces I bought back in the 70's. I can try to measure the thickness and add some photos if interested...the only thing I do remember is that I think there is there is a little dimple on the rght side that I think is a guide hole spot where you would mount the rubber sling for the heater hoses?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts