Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really can't seem to picture these. What's the differences between them and how do you determine which you should use.
Oh, yeah. Are these even available for a 69?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I know the Export Brace can be had for 69/70 (it replaces the two arms that go from the firewall to the shock towers with a single "V" shaped unit that looks almost idential to the two piece unit, but is much stronger).

The export brace is a bar that goes straight across the engine bay in front of the shock towers.

I believe they both can fit 65-70 cars (unless I'm grossly mistaken in which case there will shortly be 12 replies, friendly, of course, telling you how wrong I am!).

Both are definitely worthwhile improvements...

·
Registered
916 Posts
A monte carlo bar is simply a straight bar that connects from fender to fender(or it can be curved if desired, to clear the Cobra air filter). An export brace is similar to the support braces you see connected from the top of each shock tower to the firewall. However, the export brace is a single piece, instead of two. Both are used to tighten up the front of the car, ie. steering etc.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe installing the export brace is more common, and the monte carlo brace is added afterwards if additional stiffness is desired. uhh...maybe I should rephrase that? ::

Both are pretty inexpensive and should be available for '69, at least thats what the catalogs show.

·
Registered
971 Posts
the export brace is what attaches to the shock tower from the engine firewall.
the monte carlo brace goes between the two fender just over and ahead of the dizzy.
and yes they have them for 69's
by the way all mustangs have braces running from the firewall to the shock towers.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I have seen a picture in a magazine that had what looked like a one piece triangle shaped piece (all 3 sections looked like the same shape, as opposed to 2 flat pieces with a bar going across) instead of the normal v shape firewall to shock tower supports. Is this different then than an export brace? It may have been on a Shelby, I really can't remember.
Thanks.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The distance between the shock tower caps was IDENTICAL on all Mustangs from '65 through at least '70, so any Monte Carlo bar and/or export will fit.

Proof in the pudding is after my son's '65 got totalled. I took his chrome export brace off and put in on my '69 sportsroof.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
If you intend to drive that car, yes, you should have both.

I can second Johnpro's comment about Export brace. Due to different reasons I found myself in the tire barrier at the end of the main straight, I broke my nose eventhough I had 3-point harness, the left fender was about 2 inches over the door and front frame rail was bend. However, shock towers were at correct distance from each other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts