Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the catalog to dress up my engine compartment when I am finished and thought that a chrome export brace would help out, BUT, when I look at the ones pictured and the ones on my car (65 FB), they are different. The new ones seem to be one piece, but mine are two pieces a side with the brace around the shock tower being welded to the tower. It's the same on both my 65s. Can I use the new chrome ones without grinding out the originals or am I out of luck? TIA

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You don't have to grind off the original ones on the shock tower. The new brace mounts to the top of the tower and well out of the way of the old brace. Later you may want to grind them off just to make it look a little better.

Have you seen the brace that Total Control sells...
www.totalcontrolproducts.com

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Here's the deal...what you currently have on your car are not "Exports Braces." You have plain ole, standard issue, shock tower braces like the majority of us have too. The whole purpose of using an export brace is because it IS one piece instead of the two. It provides much more stability that the standard two-piece support.

They're called exports braces because they were installed on the cars slated for delivery to other countries. Their roads may not have been as well-kept as America's, therefore the cars needed a bit more rigidity.

Shelby used them on his cars here in the States, and we hobbiests have been following his lead ever since. It's a very worthwhile investment.

And as already stated, yes you can remove your standard support brackets or leave them in place under your new export brace. Most folks elect to remove them.

Goo luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used a chisel and it took almost no time at all to get rid of the old stuff. Just make sure to wear eye protection!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts