Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've received express lane violations for a vehicle I sold in 2000. I have no records anymore so I can't prove I sold it. The CA DMV still thinks I own it apparently. All I can do is send the violation back noting that we sold it.

Anyone know what the 91 Express Lanes company will do? Their form says if I don't send some kind of documentation that I sold the vehicle, my declaration will be disregarded. I'd just like some clue to what I'm in for here.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here you go. Hope this helps.
What happens if I don't have a FasTrak transponder on my vehicle?
Since there are no toll-collection booths on the 91 Express Lanes, California state law requires that all vehicles be equipped with a properly mounted FasTrak transponder allowing tolls to be collected electronically.
Traveling on the 91 Express Lanes without a transponder properly mounted on your vehicle could result in toll-evasion fees from $100 for the first violation; $250 for the second violation, to $500 for each additional violation within one year.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I know most of that from the violation letters they sent me. The violation letters have a declaration section where you specify you don't own the vehicle, you list who you sold it to and you have to include documentation to prove that. The form also says that if you don't include the documentation, that your declaration will be disregarded.

I sold the vehicle in 2000 and have discarded all the documentation. So I'm asking what is the next step when I send in the declaration without the documentation? Will the 91 Express Lanes disregard it as they say and still try to get the fines out of me? What can I do about it?

Another question is how do they attempt to get the fines out of you? I don't have a driver's license or cars registered in CA so they can't use the DMV to do that, like not letting me renew a registration until I pay the fines? I expect they must have some method to get fines from out of state violators otherwise we would have a free pass on the express lanes.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After spending most of the morning on the phone between the CA DMV and the 91 Express Lanes people, there may be a solution.

Fortunately the DMV has my release of liability I filed back in 2000 when I sold the vehicle. I don't know why the stupid express lane people don't see that when they do the registration check with the DMV. What I have to do is get a copy of the release of liability from the DMV and send it to the express lane people. That will cost me $20.

This kind of thing has always irritated me in the past. Two big bloated inept bureaucracies can't get their processes straight and the person stuck in the middle gets screwed. I shouldn't have to waste my time and money to do this.

I'll follow-up if this doesn't work out this way.

·
4,141 Posts
Kevin,
That would have been my suggestion, or at least part of it. That is pick up the phone and talk to a warm body. The warm body being a person at the express lanes. I have had a transponder since they opened the 91 express lanes. The only problem that I ever had was my transponder dying and not knowing it. It is OK as long as I only used the 91 express, but when I used the new (at that time) 241 hwy toll road I got sent a fine in the mail. Yes my transponder was suppose to work on the new 241 toll road too, but with it being dead they had no record of me. See the hwy 241 people could not talk to the 91 express lanes people and tell them that I had money in my account, instead I had to pay them directly. However they were able to wave the fines since I was a fastrack member. :: All in all it is not a bad system, but like any gov't system with employees that can only see the numbers on the computer screen and not the big picture thing are bound to fail. Oh and it reminds me of the story I saw on the news a few years back about people who live in the southland getting parking tickets in San Francisco, (having never being there) because the meter maid wrote the wrong lic plate number down on the ticket. :: Hey hope that it all works out for you.
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/EF/9C/11154927-23e7-012C019B-.jpg fd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts