Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I had bought the correct fomoco tool to remove my old tailshaft bushing in my 3 speed 2.77 trans but turned out, the tool was slightly larger than what I needed. Having got this far, I used the seal installation tool and just drove the new bushing in on top of the old one pushing the old bushing deeper into the tailshaft housing. I had read of some Ford truck guys doing this so, I thought id give it a go as opposed to pulling the extension housing. It seems to have worked just fine. Nice tight driveshaft yoke now, no noises while driving, and no vibrations. Have any of your guys ever installed the bushing this way or, do you foresee and issues?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I know Im not the only person here that has stacked a tail housing bushing am I ? It seems like a redneck repair but, it sure seems to work fine so far.
By the way, the bushing removal tool that I bought is fomoco T52L-7000-GAE . Its slightly larger than the 1 3/8" that I needed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If the depth of the extension housing is long enough, both bushings will still be held within the housing. If not, the old one might drop down onto the tailshaft and you might get a rattle.

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
I think you'll be okay. FWIW, I've mostly cheated and used my slide hammer with a home-made "hooks" made from a piece of scrap steel strapping.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,666 Posts
I'm pretty big on tearing things down and apart so , no. But if it's OK, like as not it will stay OK. But I can foresee it coming loose at some future time and the new owner wondering what in God's name that awful jangling noise is though. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im hoping that when it does come loose, the gear oil will keep it from rattling very loud. I'd love to know just how deep that bushing bore is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts