Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read a post about body paint that someone saw at a show. When they walked around the car, it changed or reflected different tints/hues of the paint color. Had something to do with glass in the paint. Anybody know of the post or the paint? Like an idiot I didn't print it. :eek:(

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by STR8SIX on 04/12/01 07:21 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
sounds like a '96 mystic cobra. That paint I hear, is kept under lock and key though. Probably something similar - I think made by BASF

G

·
0 Posts
i saw some of that at the paint shop about a week ago. 30 bucks an ounce. it would break my bank just to paint the front valance with that stuff.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
p.s - I had a sauterne gold '67 FB with the matching tu tone lime interior . PU!

G

·
0 Posts
I think one of the paint names is Chrome Illusion, House of Color? Don't remember as can't afford it.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pretty sure DuPont makes the Chrome Iilusion color. Jeff Gordon had it one of his cars couple of years ago.

67fb (in progress) 68convertible 69Grande'(first car) 79Cobra(bought new)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, the paint is made by all the manufacturers now. Mystic is made by dupont and is under lock and key because it has the same green as money. but all of the others make it. the way to get a soft change is with pearl like my stang it changes to purple and green some of the others change alot more with metallics they use different cuts on the metallic mystic has something like 13 sides where normal metallic has about 3. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've sprayed the PPG version of this paint. It's called Harlequin. 5 oz's to spray a car $175.00. But mixed with some color blend & reducer it will make 1 gallon of sprayable paint. The paint is sprayed over a black base. 3 to 4 coats depending on the size of the car. I've sprayed a Camaro, BMW & one motorcycle. Tomorrow I'm spraying my son's Honda with it. But, I've been doing some experimenting with different colors of base. I'm gonna use a pearl white base, then spray the flip. It won't flip as much as with a black base, but will still give a really nice effect. I've already done a test on a old hood. Turned out really good.

Lancaster, South Carolina
66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
The Dupont guys at work tell me that the secret is (as John says) in the way the 'flake' is cut. Rather than a flat shape the Mystic colours feature particles that are tiny prisms. They refract the light instead of reflecting it.Pretty amazing!

..........Bill

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the information. Considering how long it will take to restore the ol rustang, the cost of such paint could be affordable in the next decade. Thanks again.

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts