Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. started working on the suspension today and I got as far as spring compression because the two bolts that hold the upper arm with the spring. I think its rusted through. I tried to use a impact ratchet on it but it won't fit because of the spring. Is there a good rust remover i can get to loosen the bolt?? .. i tried grease and that didn't work.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Try lots of WD-40, you need a rust penatrator.

Spray it on a few times, give it a little time between applications to penetrate.

Hopefully this will work.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Try lots of WD-40, you need a rust penatrator.
I used WD-40 before I found something better...PB Blaster! Spray the bolt with PB and let it sit overnight. If it is still stuck, spray it with more PB. I love this stuff. It can be found at most automotive supply stores. Removing rusted bolts recently became my specialty. ::

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
WD-40
Water Displacement - 40 --- It is not a penetrating oil.
Mechanics that work off-shore swear by KROIL comes in a orange can , squirt or spray .

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the lubes don't do it try using heat. Heat the nut until its almost cherry red. A propane torch should get it hot enough.
Wear some thick leather gloves to prevent burns and start crankin'

BE CAREFUL! not to catch anything on fire. undercoating, fuel lines etc...
keep a hose and a fire extinguisher handy

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have to agree with thedude--PB blaster is great--I buy it out everytime they restock the shelves at Pep Boys--It is absolutely the best--I can't say I've tried everything but when something works you stop looking--Just give it a chance to work between squirts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
WD40, leave it sit overnight.

Make sure you spray it good.

WD40 was developed by the Federal Government (navy) to loosen those nuts and bolts rusted together by seawater on the hulls of ships and submarines during WW2.

Of course there are newer synthetic oils that penetrate and do the same thing in probably lesser time, or maybe not as good on the "tuffies".

Giver 'er a good squirt, sleep on it, and give 'er a good wrenching in the morning.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Don't know where you got that fable about WD-40 and the Navy . TNN television did a short article about it and the inventor . He was a 4-wheel nut & swamp buggy owner looking for something to waterproof his ignition systems. WD-40 was the 40th formula ,it worked and he marketed it .

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don`t ya love a good story?--I was suprised when I found out that a/c spark plugs-the a/c stood for albert champion(champion spark plugs) please don`t tell me that one bogus!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
However, PB Blaster is good followed by heat and a bonk from the BFH.

If you are removing the entire suspension, recommend removing the spring first, then dismantle the A-arms, spring perch, strut rod and lower control arms.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts