Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody used extrude hone on a cast iron factory intake? 700 dollars seems extremely pricey for porting an intake

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Talk to 70sporstroof. He had the intake of his I-6 extrude honed. IMHO, that's a better suited application for it, since the choice of quality peformance intakes is limited. I just don't see it being cost justified on most V8's with the wide array of aluminum (WAY lighter) intakes on the market.

Now if you're building a car for some serious NHRA competition where you are trying to squeeze that last horse power out of a engine surrounded by rules, that's another story *LOL*

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to keep the original look with extra performance. Don't get me wrong, I am realistic about the limitations of a stock manifold. But with a roller cam, rockers, ported heads, I would like around 300 hp with the stock intake.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I want to keep the original look with extra performance. Don't get me wrong, I am realistic about the limitations of a stock manifold. But with a roller cam, rockers, ported heads, I would like around 300 hp with the stock intake.

For all the potential of a roller cam, you're really shooting yourself in the foot with a stock intake.....

But it is your car!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I suggest an Edelbrock performer rpm manifold. Grind down the edelbrock stamping and then paint the manifold. It will look stock to most observers. I did that on a 66 coupe.

As for extrude hone - yes, the process worked to dramatically increase the flow levels on my 250 head. The numbers were up about 30% on intake and close to 40% on exhaust. It took me about 6 months, however, to get the job done as it was the first 250 head they worked on. Consequently, they had no programming "in the can" and had to do a lot of flow bench testing to get where it needed to be. One interesting point is that the process balanced the flow so that air through the carb opening balanced equally to all 6 cylinders. Stock, 1 and 6 tend to be lean, 3& 4 rich.

good luck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole reason for using a roller cam is not pure power. What most people don't realize about roller cams is that a .500 lift roller cam can still idle like a stock cam. This is what I am after, very smooth idle with great driveability with mildly increased power. idle to 5500 rpm range with an automatic with 3.25 gears, a performer rpm is not needed in my case. The roller cam is something that for a few hundred dollars more you can have more power, longer life, and smoother operation. When we spend 20,000 to 30,000 dollars on these vehicles, why not spend a few hundred dollars more. now back to my original question, It was just to get feedback on this porting process and to see if 75 hp can be made with exhaust, roller valve train, and ported heads. The powerheads in march issue of mustang and fords was intersting and made me think of this build. I understand the stock intake has its limitations, I feel confident the power level I want to achieve is possible
with the stock intake, although it may require some port
work on the intake. This is where I was looking at extrude hone versus hand porting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts