Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to keep my eye out for an older truck that I can restore/mod for my son when the time comes. I like the older trucks, but I don't want something that is going to break the bank just to get it. I would like a below 10k, really below 8K truck that I can fix up and customize. I like the petina or matte black look, lowered, rims, big motor and wood bed. Interior I'll just make decent.

I figured if anyone would have suggestions it would be this forum. Any experience on this subject? Post pics and info of your truck if you do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had both a '67 Chevy pickup and a '72. Both were good, dependable trucks, that were easy to work on when needed. That, and aftermarket support for those things is huge.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I've been around the 67-72 Chevy trucks for 20+ years. This fall I will have owned the truck below for 20. As mentioned above the aftermarket for these trucks is HUGE. You can get a quality drop and power disc kit for around a grand (but 71/72s ALL had discs from the factory.) They're very easy to drop, bag, engine swap, the coil spring suspensions ride great for something almost 50 years old. The problem is that a good truck is expensive.

The 67-72 fords are extremely good looking trucks, and right now, are underrated and relatively cheap. They're somewhat difficult to drop because of their I-beam front suspension and the aftermarket is there, but nothing like for the C10's. You should be able to pick up a really nice example for half the cost of a "same shape" C10. I was just on the Hot Rod Power Tour and the C10s were literally EVERYWHERE. I don't recall seeing more than a couple 67-72 F100's.

My truck has a relocated fuel tank, PDB, 4/6 drop, swapped the I6 for a 350/700R/3.73 rear, Vintage Air, heavy duty 4 row radiator and I'm sure a lot more I've forgotten.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been around the 67-72 Chevy trucks for 20+ years. This fall I will have owned the truck below for 20. As mentioned above the aftermarket for these trucks is HUGE. You can get a quality drop and power disc kit for around a grand (but 71/72s ALL had discs from the factory.) They're very easy to drop, bag, engine swap, the coil spring suspensions ride great for something almost 50 years old. The problem is that a good truck is expensive.

The 67-72 fords are extremely good looking trucks, and right now, are underrated and relatively cheap. They're somewhat difficult to drop because of their I-beam front suspension and the aftermarket is there, but nothing like for the C10's. You should be able to pick up a really nice example for half the cost of a "same shape" C10. I was just on the Hot Rod Power Tour and the C10s were literally EVERYWHERE. I don't recall seeing more than a couple 67-72 F100's.

My truck has a relocated fuel tank, PDB, 4/6 drop, swapped the I6 for a 350/700R/3.73 rear, Vintage Air, heavy duty 4 row radiator and I'm sure a lot more I've forgotten.
What is the ball park of cost that I should be looking for? I want to tackle alot of the work myself too just like my mustang but don't want a 45K truck.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I don't know your location, but here in the south, there's decent 67-72 F100 Shortbeds in running condition that you could build a nice "patina" truck out of for 2-4K. You can buy a NICE restored one for 8-10K. They're just not bringing a lot of $, which is great if you're looking for one.

A 67-72 C10 shortbed that runs and drives *in general* is going to cost 6-8K. That doesn't mean deals aren't out there. A nice restored shortbed is going to set you back 15-20K, BUT I have seen some nice moderate restorations go for 10-12K. GM built a CRAPLOAD of longbeds, and clean longbeds go for about half what the shortbeds go for.

Scour craigslist, find what you like, and decide if you want to spend more money up front on a truck that is already done and only needs a little, or if you want a cheap truck you can dump money into. I paid $1,400 for mine running and driving in 1996, they've gotten a little more $ since then! Even with all I've done to my C10, I still have less $ into it than what I paid for my 65 Mustang when I bought it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd go with an F100. IDK about your area, but here in socal they are a dime a dozen and in most cases rust free and cheap. Hell I saw one on CL last night that was stripped out and down. ready for paint, no motor or trans on a rolling freshly lifted chassis for $1500. Body was straight too. You could do a chebby as well but from what I have seen they can get expensive depending on the year. Just my 2C.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I sold off a very original 1971 F-100 a few years ago. It had 60,000 original miles and had always been garaged. Paint and interior were all original. I got it off the original owner. It was a 390 4speed. The engine had never been apart other than a water pump. Wish I hadn't had to sell it. But I needed the room.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I picked this up about two months ago, it'll eventually be my dd. it's a 71 f100, 360, c6, ps, pb, factory air. I like the long box better than the short box. it needs work, it sat for the last 20 or so years, but I got the engine running already.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
F100 is my choice , you can get them for pretty cheap and they starting to become popular so chances are they will be going up in value .
I picked up my 68 F100 for $300 a few years back , it had been sitting for about 7 years . i got the old Big block 360 running in a day .
since then , had a quick paint job done , redid interior ,dropped a built 390 in,rebuilt 9" added 3.55 posi and currently working on adding front disc brakes .
day i got her

and how she is now

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I bought this in Charlotte, In my opinion the best deal on a truck in the place.

Lovely 5.7 litre V8 with nice details and alloy bits

Brand new Deep dish wheels and tyres

Very clean and neat interior

Nice patina paint

Super clean underside

Frame notched over rear axle

Image link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Always nice that you can do the work its always a much cheaper proposition to purchase some one elses work at a huge discount as I did.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Here is my F-1. I have a Few goodies to go with it now. Chrome 2in front drop axle, T5 tranny, short shift, a McCullough Paxton VS57 Super charger, Fenton dual carb intake for the flathead 8.
Should be a fun project when finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Here is my F-1. I have a Few goodies to go with it now. Chrome 2in front drop axle, T5 tranny, short shift, a McCullough Paxton VS57 Super charger, Fenton dual carb intake for the flathead 8.
Should be a fun project when finished.
a supercharged flathead, totally bad ***!! I love flatheads.

·
Registered
542 Posts
a supercharged flathead, totally bad ***!! I love flatheads.
Thanks. Unfortunately I am about two years out from completing the build. Still need to find some Navarro or Offenhauser heads for the engine. A set of good Fenton would be even better.

LJ

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, all the old trucks are great.

I came across this one for $600. About $3500 later and it was complete including a full restore of the interior. People come up to me all the time to talk about my old truck.

Mine is a 1979 custom explorer with auto, ac and tilt steering, 8 foot fleetside? bed. The short beds and stepsides look a bit more sporty but the 8 foot bed has come in handy a few times for me. I repainted it in the original color. This whole project has been done inside of my mustang project so it was a serious dely on the car but I needed the truck.

·
Registered
9,007 Posts
I just got my '48 F-1 late last year. It's a good driver. I cranked on
it for a couple of months to overcome the last 25 years of zero
mechanical maintenance that it has apparently been subjected to.
Can't find the 48-52 Ford trucks that cheaply though. They seem
to start out around $1500 for an "idea" and top out at about $30-
something grand for a concours example.
No heavy plans for this one. Just for home depot trips, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I am trying to keep my eye out for an older truck that I can restore/mod for my son when the time comes. I like the older trucks, but I don't want something that is going to break the bank just to get it. I would like a below 10k, really below 8K truck that I can fix up and customize. I like the petina or matte black look, lowered, rims, big motor and wood bed. Interior I'll just make decent.

I figured if anyone would have suggestions it would be this forum. Any experience on this subject? Post pics and info of your truck if you do.
Is this why your looking to sell your Mustang ?
Odd none of you seem to live in the rust belt ,wish I could have an other vintage ride as a second car.Alas I have to have something I don't have to feel bad about driving in the snow/salt:frown2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts