Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on removing the factory a/c compressor on my early 67? its on the driver side. the four bolts on the bottom are rounded off and there is no room to fit any sockets

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
There are many sockets available that are purposely made for removing bolts with rounded off heads.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
on mine the bolt that goes thru the power steering mount also holds compressor and another bolt is just underneath the compressor bracket on the left of the mount if you are looking from the fan side

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i guess i have to remove the ps pump and other stuff to get to it. i'll see if my chain saw works

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having just gone through this as part of a conversion, I think you would be much better off to plan on removing all brackets... I can not imagine any way to remove the compressor from that bracket with it on the car.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Hey, i fought taking my ps pump off my caddie for days after tuffy said it would cost about 600 to fix and i did it for less than 80 because the pump they said was bad was good with no leaks, it was the hoses that fixed my problem

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You need sockets to remove the PS and AC brackets.

The PS pump bracket has 3 bolts. 2 of those bolts go into the head and also hold the AC compressor mount on. The 3rd bolt goes through the WP.

The AC mount has a 3rd bolt, you access it through a hole in the front of the PS bracket.

The fuel line snakes up through there as well.

Unless you take it to a Mustang guy, the shop will not know any more than you know.

Its not a 5 min task.

Dont be intimidated, if you own one of these cars one of the following statements must be true:

1. You have a boatload of money.
2. Your family member lives, eats, breathes Fords, is wealthy and is retired with nothing to do.
3. You learn how to work on your car yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
1) Remove the idler

2) remove the power steering steel bracket to the center of the engine.

3) The aluminum bracket is held on either by a long stud or most likely, a long bolt. It does not have to be detached from the pump. It is closest to the center of the engine. Remove the stud / bolt, and tie the power steering pump and bracket to the far left (remove the belt.

4) The compressor bracket is held on by 3 studs, could have been changed to bolts, etc. 6 point socket with extension and wobble works great. Either undo the bolts, or undo the nuts, and the compressor and bracket (heavy dog it is) slides right out, assuming the hoses have been removed.

I have pulled a bunch of these off on engines through the years, it is not hard, just work on each bolt / nut as it is exposed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you. i thought it was just the 4 bolts. didnt know i had to remove everything else. i'll take a try at it. i am learning. it was my grandfathers car that he left me when he passed. i always thought it was the coolest car ever. so i'm working on restoring it little by little. but that ugly broken compressor was an eyesore and gets in the way of everything else. one day i'll replace it with a new one. but for now i just wanted to remove it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Dont get rid of the factory AC vents and controls inside the car. 67/68 are almost impossible to find, especially the center vent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts