Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64.5 Coupe that I've begun restoring. It has factory A/C but it's hasn't worked in 30yrs. I plan to repair the A/C eventually, but it's VERY low on my to-do list. I'm thinking of removing it to get it out of the way during the major restoration steps (engine, body, interior, etc...). This will also protect the individual A/C components.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom in regards to removal? This is not something I've found in any shop manuals. As I said before, it doesn't work, so there no problems with refrigerant disposal.

Thanks

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Do a cosmetic restoration of the AC system. Unless there is physical damage, it probably needs very little repair. Later, when you're sweating your you-know-what off, you'll dig into it and discover all you need is a dryer and one hose, or something. These systems are pretty simple and reliable. I pulled mine off of three different wrecks back in the 70's, stuck it on my car, and it's still working.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If you take anything off, or open the system up even if it is still on the car, the key is preventing moisture (in the form of humid air) from getting into the components. You can do an adequate job of this with duct tape on the open ends of every piece. Then put it all in a box, seal the box, and don't forget where you put it - AC is a very desirable thing to have in a Mustang.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

1 - 3 of 3 Posts