Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my car was in the shop for 4 months getting paint n body work- something happened to the ac. The guys replaced the cowl so perhaps something happened near the box? The compressor is kicking on only when jumped with power. Otherwise its not coming on.The switches seem to work and i cant find any wires that arent connected (its a rat nest up there however so hard to look and see). Here is a pic of behind my glovebox. There is a small box(noted #1) with two green wores in the top. one goes to the compressor and one goes to the switch? THEN another small box behind it (#2 with an arrow to the studs) with two wire male studs on top but empty-no wires attached. #3 is showing a femail wire end with no where to go...there are a few of those back there but i believe they were always unattached? I cant remember if#1 and #2 were like that before the cowl work? I believe so? Damn. Also, box #2 has a short stiff wire coming out of the top. Can anyone tell me anything about these boxes and wires? Fan works. Compressor is simply not kicking on unless "jumped"! THANKS!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,517 Posts
Reactions: randyray02

·
Registered
330 Posts
The electrical power for the compressor passes through two underdash switches, the thermostatic one in your picture near the red scribbles and then the defroster switch triggered by the defroster flap above the ash tray to the left of the dash center. Using a DVM and the fan switch on, test for current at each of those components. Absence of current at any link in the electrical chain means power is not getting through as intended. Repair or replace and retest.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Did you put any gauges on it to see if it is sufficiently charged? If it is not, the clutch will not engage. This is where you should start.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,517 Posts
Did you put any gauges on it to see if it is sufficiently charged? If it is not, the clutch will not engage. This is where you should start.
Not true with these old piston compressors. Look at the link I provided, no pressure switch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- can you go into more detail/pics with regard to your first sentence? Also, I dont see a pic online that shows a #1 and #2....my #2 actually has a stiff short wire coming off of it (and no wires hooked into the two tabs)- maybe the #1 is a replacement ? Someone who owned it before me? I dunno...not real good with electrical stuff either...ugh.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,517 Posts
There should be two green wires hooked to the thermostat switch, #2. One of those wires should come from the compressor the other comes from ac control switch (assuming its number 1) the other side of the control switch runs to the switch on the dash. Looking at the pic again it appears that your capillary tube (short stiff wire) has been cut.

Reactions: randyray02

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,517 Posts
Have you called the shop that did the work? I cant imagine them replacing the cowl and not removing all the components under the dash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There should be two green wires hooked to the thermostat switch, #2. One of those wires should come from the compressor the other comes from ac control switch (assuming its number 1) the other side of the control switch runs to the switch on the dash. Looking at the pic again it appears that your capillary tube (short stiff wire) has been cut. View attachment 748207
capillary?

·
Registered
561 Posts
That is the piece of 1/8 tubing with the ragged end coming out of the switch right above your red arrow. Looks like is got torn or worn through. It should be around 18" long and you shouldn't be able to even see the end. Definitely is ruined and will need replaced.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,517 Posts
Looking at your pic again, there seems to be a lot going on here in the name of questionable work. It looks like the cowl wasn't completely replaced, which is not necessarily a bad thing but it seems they did no corrosion protection on the remaining part of the cowl and the patch they welded in looks like a home made piece with very little coating on it. I see no seam sealer, hoses unhooked, wires unhooked, missing, not to mention the capillary tube seems damaged. I'd be calling and would be putting a hold on payment if paid with a credit card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts