Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with a neat fix for the contact switch on the factory air box. They are built with copper rivets that hold the contact post on the outside of the melamine. My switch was shot and the contact posts broke off. Opening the switch shows the rivet heads meeting a spring loaded copper slider with contact (continuity) everywhere but full release (i.e., no damper leaver contact). For the fix I just took two small round brass screws (4's) and nuts and drilled out the rivets and enlaged the mounting hole thru the contact posts. Before inserting the screws I filed each side of the screw head down from round to a small rectangle just outside the head groove - otherwise the round heads force the switch closed always (not good). I used locktight to make sure they would stay put and installed the heads on the inside of the switch sticking thru the melamine and then contact posts with the rectangle heads horizontal. Note: You have to straighten and re-bend the contact posts to fit because the brass nuts are larger than the factory mounting rivet but it works fine. Once tight, I filed down the heads inside the switch to the depth of the old rivet before re-closing the switch case. Not bad for 22 cents and 1/2 an hour.

Now the question, does anyone know the size and thread of the brass AC service valve nuts? Not the bulet caps but the acfess port nuts? Mine are gone and I do not want to buy two new valves to get them.

Matt

Matt

·
Registered
165 Posts
.25 inch shrader for the service ports

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You can lay the capillary tube in a pan of ice for a minute or two, you will hear it click and the contacts will open if it's OK.
(Test with a continuity tester.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts