Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any reference photos of the blackout areas in the headlight buckets behind the high beams? Also, I am looking for the blackout area inside the car under the rear window on the panels that separate the trunk from the car (The metal structural panels, not the trim panels). As I recall, there was some black paint applied probably to hide the seams of the fold down rear seat.

Like a doofus, I didn't take pictures before getting paint happy...

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
♠I'm guessing by your location (and hoping since different factories did it differently) that you have a San Jose Mach.

Headlights were blacked out using a spray or a brush. No real pattern to what month and how. Typically the brush was used on other parts of the car when a blackout detail was overlooked (since you couldn't send a car back to a spray booth.

69 San Jose Headlight bucket (could be more or less of course)

Brushed Often for what ever reason the brush method worked poorly- leaving many missed areas. But if I was doing a car I would copy the effort shown below

Sprayed

Often when sprayed the back was also partly blacked out but this was not something that was always done from those I've found

The area where it looks like a rear defroster would go (don't know why since it was not offered) was blacked out

Have not seen the area behind the rear seat painted black yet. Will continue to look though the flap from the rear seat would cover almost all of this except for the small corners.

Remember to do the A pillars and the base of the windshield also. Noticed the other day I forgot the A pillars on my Boss 20 yrs ago.Boy do those things stick out once you notice them :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, San Jose it was. The headlight buckets were brushed. Looking at the photo of the trunk entry I can't see what benefit there was to blacking it out!

What areas of the A pillars are you talking about--the entire A pillar? Mine are nicely painted red now, so I need to do something here.

Thanks for the great info and help!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
69 Rustang said:
What areas of the A pillars are you talking about--the entire A pillar? Mine are nicely painted red now, so I need to do something here.

A pillars from bottom to top as any body color will show behind the plastic trim pieces after they are installed (don't ask me how I know :(

Also remember the front lower edge of the windshield opening as any body color while show here (under the dash pad or through the defroster openings) once all the parts are in place

1 - 4 of 4 Posts