Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever taken notice of how Ford actually did this. Obviosuly they would have a battery tray mounted in the trunk with a hold down and drain and cables ran forward. I don't know if shelby ever did this, but I think Ford did on some later R code cars didn't they?

I'm probably going to do this on my Shelby clone in an effort to further improve handling and weight distribution. But I have a couple of questions....

What do they do in the front where the battery used to go. Is the tray just gone and there is nothing there? Are the battery tray holes filled with anything? Do they leave the selenoid in the stock place? Is there some other piece of equipment they put there? I'm thinking about an aluminum overflow tank just in case I happen to be driving by a drag strip. ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ford didn't do it. It was offered in the Muscle Parts program. And it wasn't a kit it was just a listing of the individual components needed.Solenoid remained in stock location
For a 69 Mustang you needed:
Battery- HVU-29HR
battery to relay cable: C9ZZ-14300-A included the installation instructions
battery to ground: C2RZ-14300-G this went to a bumper bolt
engine ground cable: C2RZ-14431-A
terminal: C9ZZ-14450-A
terminal insulator cover:C9ZZ-14277-A
bracket spare tire mounting: C7AZ-6247076-A
battery vent kit: BB-28
battery tray: C9ZZ-10732-B
battery support brackets:
C9ZZ-10A674-A, C9ZZ-10A710-A, C9ZZ-10679-A

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have a brand new stock battery tray. After taking it around to the trunk, ti fits in there pretty good with the support brace giving support from the Trunk drop off with the main weight sitting on top of the trunk floor off to the side. With a sealed battery it should be good to go. I really don't want to use all of the original (ie expensive) parts to get it done. I just want it to look more like a factory job than a pepboys kit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Only the BOSS 429 and the very early 65 Shelbys came from the factory with a trunk mounted battery. All of the factory original parts are very expensive but a trunk mount battery kit from Jegs or Summit is inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have a pic of the Boss9 battery tray in or out of the car??? ::

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Not sure if you are wanting anything factory correct, but when i moved my battery and solenoid to the trunk, i used the stock battery tray with the angled support removed. The support is spot welded in three spots. I drilled three holes in the trunk floor and centered the battery tray over the frame rail so the bolts would miss the rail. I guess i need to take some pics in case someone needs them for reference. It is in the same spot as the Boss 9 pic, but a much smaller Optima battery. Oh, and i also reused the stock type battery holddown too :biggrin: A billet mustang optima one may be in my future though.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a perfect pic Snakepilot, thank you! I was just out there looking at it again. I think I am going to keep the support brace and move the battery farther out to the side. There is a raies lip about 2 inches wide right where the trunk floor meets the drop off. If I center the battery tray on the 2 inch flat spot and then bolt the suport through the side of the drop off it fits perfectly AND it is out of the way by another 4-6 inches according to the photo. I think that is the way I'm going to go. Thanks guys!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts