Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am starting my restoration of my 68 Fastback and started on my fenders. Original color was Candy Apple Red. Not sure I will repaint to that color.

Cleaned out the inside of the fender and one of the fenders(passenger), shows a yellow marking...I think it is D8......

Question is:
1. Is this a factory marking?
2. Did the factory paint the inside of the fender the same color as exterior?
3. Better to not repaint and lose the marking?

Condition of the paint looks reasonably good for its age.

Thanks! Rod

G

·
That's the stencil for a service replacement fender... which means your fender is not original to the car. Any part with the second 'Z' means a part to be sold through Ford Parts Div. You should not try to replicate the stencil as your car would not have come with it from the factory.

The back of the fenders should show a primer color, like red-oxide and then body color over spray around the edges.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes as Charles said, those are replacement fenders, but original replacement pieces from ford. same as any part used in collision repairs, or maybe just owner installed because of rust maybe? Virtuall all replacemnet sheetmetal was so stamped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see...so for curiosity sake, can it be determined that the replacement piece is 70s or 80s era?

So the factory did not stamp or mark an assembly line fender?

Also, I am guessing this is an aftermarket 70s era decal on the bottom edge of the fender I stripped?:

Thanks for the knowledge!

Rod

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
RoMoCo said:
I see...so for curiosity sake, can it be determined that the replacement piece is 70s or 80s era?
You can look to the stamping date which will likely not match others that are know to have come on the car but they do not indicate era. If the shipping label is also still attached the shipping date will be on that (painters often just shot over them :(

RoMoCo said:
So the factory did not stamp or mark an assembly line fender?
The fenders used for service replacement were the ones that typically receive the stamped part number (for inventory purposes)

Interesting that someone screwed up and put the wrong number on both of them. Must have been the same worker.

RoMoCo said:
Also, I am guessing this is an aftermarket 70s era decal on the bottom edge of the fender I stripped?:
No that is a more recent graphic ... at least the late 80's I would guess based on the style

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Definitely aftermarket or custom. Never seen a GT stripe like that one before

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is rest of the car with the graphic that goes over the roof and into the sides of the rear glass.

Black was repainted black at some point.....

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Though I've never seen the car around at local shows... those appear to be pretty recent graphics in style.

Good luck with the project and we're here to help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jeff.

Doubtful the full restoration will meet concours standards and during its lifetime, had some distasteful mods, nothing impossible to correct.

The car was purchased in Kentucky, a stones throw from the Ohio River, and apparently enjoyed laying around on its muddy banks.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Paint it Bullitt "Highland" green!!! You're in San Francisco man!

Throw in some 15" American Racing Torq thrust D's..Make a BULLITT replica...

I would..

Good luck with your project...

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 convertible

1 - 10 of 10 Posts