Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’ve been looking at the factory five for a long time and I think now might be the time for me to build one...after the mustang is done of course, so my question is who’s built one? Is it worth it? Is there another kit car you’d recommend? if you’ve built it how hard was it? How are the instructions that come with it and what else is required to integrate the factory five with a drive train? Thanks guys I’m sure Someone on here has built one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven’t built one yet, but like you I have wanted to for a long time. The Mustang I’m working on now will hopefully result in enough profit to help me buy a FFR kit. Check out ffcars.com and the build series on YouTube. Lots of info available.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I haven't built one, yet (still waiting for more garage space). But, every year I take a chance at winning one. If you are in the central Ohio area, during the London Cobra Show they have factory reps and tons of FFR and Superformance owners/builders to talk with. Here's the link to this year's site. London Cobra Show

Spliffy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t built one yet, but like you I have wanted to for a long time. The Mustang I’m working on now will hopefully result in enough profit to help me buy a FFR kit. Check out ffcars.com and the build series on YouTube. Lots of info available.
The one thing you can never find out is how hard is it to sctuall
I haven't built one, yet (still waiting for more garage space). But, every year I take a chance at winning one. If you are in the central Ohio area, during the London Cobra Show they have factory reps and tons of FFR and Superformance owners/builders to talk with. Here's the link to this year's site. London Cobra Show

Spliffy
thanks I’ll check it out!

·
Registered
555 Posts
In my opinion, if you’re restoring or rebuilding a vintage car, you can build a Factory Five. I built a majority of mine in a one car garage with basic hand tools, including a hand riveter. I went pure donor car route with an 87 Mustang GT (initially). No welding needed, unless you’re making mods.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I built an early MK III, it was fairly easy and well explained on how it went together. On the early cars they were easy to customize and modify as to the way you wanted it. Also there are several cottage industries set up to provide parts. I built all of mine except for the paint and interior, those were farmed out to professional shops. My car had IRS, Wilwood brakes, Fuel Safe cell, full stainless exhaust and a bunch of custom stuff.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I can only attest to owning two Factory Five MKII's, not building them. Both were, and are, a pleasure to drive as there's really no other car that has the grin factor that they offer. They just go.
I'd have zero issues building one. FF is known for being user friendly and the support from the FF forum guys is awesome if you need help or suggestions.
My first car had a 514 in it and it was a rocket ship. My current one has a 347 in it and is still faster than I need. One suggestion I'd make is do as much as you can to protect yourself from the heat as they get uncomfortable hot. Your feet are right up against the engine and the headers will melt your feet and legs once the engine gets hot.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I plan to get one as my next project, like alot of you guys. I however am looking at either the 33 hot rod or the newer 35 truck, cant decide.

I agree, if you can restore a Mustang, you should be able to build an ffr car without issue.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I built my first one from the ground up. Took me a 1 1/2 years and I had never done a project even close to it...didn't have a good tool set when I bought it and the most I'd ever done was change oil & plugs (and that was before we had jiffy lube's all over the place). There's a great forum for you to check-out. www.FFCars.com really helped me get my car done.

I sold it and bought a Camaro and drove that for a while. Got tired of that and trade it for another FFR Cobra. That was a finished car, but I have modified it a lot (changed suspension parts,motor swap, power steering, etc etc).

Compared to doing a mustang restoration, the FFR is a piece of cake. You still have to massage parts to make them fit...it's not like a plastic model where every piece just fits right, but it's way easier than trying to get an aftermarket fender to fit a 65 Mustang.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Here's a shot of my car. I still have it. It's not a daily driver...it can wear you out driving it for long stretches...and getting caught in the rain really sucks. But it's a thrill to drive.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but, I have always wanted to build one. Looking at a retirement project that is 2 yr away. kinda thinking that a Boss9 tribute but, damn, a FFR car would be really nice to build with all new parts....hummmm :) Leaning to a Cobra though. Lots o time for research for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I built a MK 3.1 back in 2009-2010. I'm an Auto, HD and Marine tech by trade so saying that it was fairly straight forward to build might not be a relevant statement coming from me. The build manual was pretty good back then and I hear it's even better now.
When it comes time to build, my biggest advice is to be honest with yourself when you are in the planning stages. If you think you are going to want power steering or upgraded brakes or a 427 or a Coyote or a four link or a heater or an automatic etc.... plan for it from the get go. It will be cheaper from the start and you will have more time to drive it if you aren't doing things twice. That being said winter projects are fun too.
As has been said already there is an absolute ton of good support and info out there. Both in the way of vendors and forums.
Now for the driving experience. It's just plain awesome. Mine has boosted stock 2004 Mustang era brakes and stops on a dime. It also has a Ford Racing 427 small block. I think they advertise 535 hp and its crazy fast. It has a bit of a surge around 2K that I can't seem to tune out of the EFI but it is still quite manageable to drive. Its definitely a rough ride on these Canadian Rockies roads and I don't think I'd ever want to spend more than 4-5 hours behind the wheel but that's just fine with me. That's what I had in mind when I built it. I have never been a big convertible fan but I do love the open cockpit of the roadster. I'm not sure how but its different.
The only thing that worries me a bit now is that it has a pretty heavy clutch. I'm only 49 but a lifetime of fairly competitive hockey and working on big trucks and heavy equipment is starting to show up in the way of worn out hips and knees. Nothing a 4R70W won't solve though when the time comes.

Oh and one last thing. My wife hates it (she's a girly girl). She likes the Fastback though!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I appreciate everyone’s input I’m leaning towards the mkIII or the Daytona coupe!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh and one last thing. My wife hates it (she's a girly girl). She likes the Fastback though!
I think that’s a given for Cobras. Too loud, smelly, and hot for most females. Makes for great buying prices for buyers though, lol.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
One thing about owning a Factory Five, you have to be able to laugh off the snobbery of some of the ERA, Kirkham and other more expensive replica owners. With engine power being equal, a FFR will usually be quicker then their expensive cousins.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Anywhere from 90 days to 2 1/2 years or more. When I built mine, it took me 2 years mainly because of my work schedule. I was away from home for two weeks at a time, then home for about five or six days. If I were home every week end and evening, it would have probably been done in about a year.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Anywhere from 90 days to 2 1/2 years or more. When I built mine, it took me 2 years mainly because of my work schedule. I was away from home for two weeks at a time, then home for about five or six days. If I were home every week end and evening, it would have probably been done in about a year.
That's kinda what I thought. It will be a retirement project and I'd work on it when I felt like it--no point of making it like a full time job, it should be fun.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
They’re getting nicer and nicer with each generation, and the costs reflect that. My cousin just ordered one two weeks ago. $20k for the complete kit and just about $10k in reasonable extras. That’s before probably $12k in crate 347 motor and TKO trans and $10k in body/paint. All of the sudden it’s $52k in cash... for what is a beautiful machine no question. But that’s a looooong way away from the $9,995 kit and a donor 5.0 Mustang the FFR brothers started with. As long as you know that going in, great. There’s usually a few unfinished ones a year that pop up for sale- life change or wife cut off the supply chain to it.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
They’re getting nicer and nicer with each generation, and the costs reflect that. My cousin just ordered one two weeks ago. $20k for the complete kit and just about $10k in reasonable extras. That’s before probably $12k in crate 347 motor and TKO trans and $10k in body/paint. All of the sudden it’s $52k in cash... for what is a beautiful machine no question. But that’s a looooong way away from the $9,995 kit and a donor 5.0 Mustang the FFR brothers started with. As long as you know that going in, great. There’s usually a few unfinished ones a year that pop up for sale- life change or wife cut off the supply chain to it.
Yes, I am sure the $$ just keeps going up as you piece it together. By the time I am ready I will be able to do the paint and the engine (built a 347 from a bare block 5 yr ago and am anxious to build something else soon). But yes, I am sure I'll have $30K in it at the least. I like the idea of fining a partial built one but would be hesitant for fear a lot of small stuff was missing. Lots of research to do before I pull the trigger on something like this. I'm going to join the FFR forum.....dangerous, I know LOL.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts