Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a brief 10 year absence I have returned to the forums with a new name (could not restart my old Hellcat6 user name), a new car and new questions!

70 Mach 1, factory Hurst 4 speed shifter. My shifter stick is crap, chrome is in bad shape and I would like to replace it or maybe have it rechromed. The stick does not bolt in and from reading older posts I understand I need to insert something at the base to release some clips? Could someone walk me through this with pictures if possible?

Also, once I get it out, can I use a standard bolt on shifter stick as a replacement? Understand that mine does not allow for bolting it on but wondering if this clip system would also retain a standard bolt on replacement stick. A picture of what the base of my factory stick looks like would be helpful.

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back.

·
Registered
34,637 Posts
On the side with the metal spring, slide a .015" or so flat feeler gauge between it and the shifter...wiggle it down a ways, then use a rubber mallet or block of wood to "whack" the shifter under the knob or handle to pop it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great picture and explanation, thanks! Do you think it will hold a modern 2 bolt hole style replacement? I will of course find all of this out when I try it but wondering if you knew. Idea of having mine rechromed is starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got it off, easy with your helpful instructions! It has one hole in it at the top of the base, I'm thinking that the clip would hold a replacement with 2 holes as well. Anyone done that? Will look into the cost to get the original rechromed, replacement is about $105.

·
Registered
34,637 Posts
Great picture and explanation, thanks! Do you think it will hold a modern 2 bolt hole style replacement? I will of course find all of this out when I try it but wondering if you knew. Idea of having mine rechromed is starting to grow on me.
Never tried it.... Of course, you can always make your own handle if you have the tools..... a piece of stainless bar stock, some heat and then grind, sand and polish...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts