Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased Global West reverse eye leaf springs and their (darn expensive) Del-a-lum shackles. I have the springs, just waiting on the shackles so I've been thinking about the U-bolts for the leaf springs...

Does the entire weight of the rear of the car sit on the 4 U-bolts that clamp the rear end and the leaf springs? So with that thinking, I've tried look for post about hardened U-bolts or upgrading the stock U-bolts, but I do not find very much on it.

Can I glass bead/paint my original ones from my 8" rear end to use on my new 9" and leaf spring upgrade? Are they plenty strong from the factory? With this swap is going to come a 408w motor and 4R70w, so much torque is involved.

Chaz

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
call cobra automotive. They sell a set of heavy duty U bolts, I don't see them on the web site, but were shown in their last print catalog.

(203) 284-3863

Competition U-Bolts
Our 1/2” diameter steel U-bolts allow you to use 65 lbs. of torque when tightening as opposed to the OEM 7/16” U-bolts only withstanding 45 lbs. of torque. This significantly increases the clamping force as they are much stronger than the stock units. Automatic increased length also allows use with 1”lowering blocks.

Cobra Automotive Shelby Mustang brakes & suspensions

Z.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently purchased Global West reverse eye leaf springs and their (darn expensive) Del-a-lum shackles. I have the springs, just waiting on the shackles so I've been thinking about the U-bolts for the leaf springs...

Does the entire weight of the rear of the car sit on the 4 U-bolts that clamp the rear end and the leaf springs? So with that thinking, I've tried look for post about hardened U-bolts or upgrading the stock U-bolts, but I do not find very much on it.

Can I glass bead/paint my original ones from my 8" rear end to use on my new 9" and leaf spring upgrade? Are they plenty strong from the factory? With this swap is going to come a 408w motor and 4R70w, so much torque is involved.

Chaz
Did you ever see the commercial where they lift a newer ford truck with a crane by one of the bed bolts? Seriously, stock bolts should be fine.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
i have never seen a broken factory u-bolt.
neither have I.

But I think the problem was the rear end shifting under acceleration, not the bolts breaking. I doubt this is going to be an issue with street driven stock horsepower engines. The larger bolts allow for more clamping force to be applied.

The racing success of cars prepped by Cobra Automotive is a great endorsement.

Z.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, thanks for the info guys. I'll give Cobra Auto a shout and see what they have.

Chaz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts