Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the Company that makes a fail safe thermostat? I've called NAPA and Kragen near my office and they don't have any in stock, but if they know the Company that makes them, they could find one for me.

Secondly, do you think if I powder coated the die cast housing it would prevent rust or maybe just paint it? Or should I just get one of the chrome covered housings? I'm not too concerned with the looks as long as it's just not rusted out looking. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I powdercoated mine. Looks real good, especially with the p/c manifold. I think some (maybe all) of the chrome ones come with o-rings which are a problem to seal. Can't remember the brand name of the thermostats.

G

·
Does anyone know the Company that makes a fail safe thermostat?

I have to strongly warn against these thermostats. I've been through at least three of them, and I finally learned my lesson.

The problem that fail-safe thermostats have is that if the car overheats once -- just once -- the thermostat will stick itself open permanently. I don't know if everyone's Mustang behaves like mine, but my temperature gets really hot right after i turn off the engine and the water stops circulating. I'd be willing to bet that it's enough to stick open the fail-safe thermostat.

As far as the water necks go, Mr. Gasket (and probably others) makes a chrome one with an O-Ring gasket. Ford Motorsport makes a nearly identical chrome one, and I believe they come in both O-Ring and non-O-Ring varieties. After some initial difficulty, I finally got my O-Ring Mr. Gasket water neck to seal (just needed some more torque), and then replaced it with a plain gasket Ford Motorsport variety, and now it leaks. Go figure. I'm going to go back to the O-Ring variety.

At least the O-Ring variety can be removed and replaced repeatedly with fairly minimal effort, which you're going to need if you use that fail-safe thermostat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, I completely forgot about how hot my engine gets after shutdown.. and I've been stuck in traffic a few times recently where i was definitely pushing the limits of an overheat. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts