Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's suppose I have a fairly nice 6/10 point car, '69 convertible, 302 or 351 2v driver.

What do you all think it would take to make it look like this, cosmetically?

I would start with assumption of good straight body, no rust, and $8,000 for the paint work.

If someone is familiar with the price of buying all the repop Shelby parts. NOT NOS!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have done this conversion on a 69 convertible. Started with a 302 convertible, ended up with a 351W GT350 clone. I can tell you if you are not doing the work yourself, be prepared to spend at least 35K.(without paint) The repro parts fit so badly, the body shop or you will have many hundreds of hours involved in this conversion. Beside the fiberglas you need wheels, tires, the exhaust system, fog lights, front bumper and all the front brackets, and screens, roll bar, unique console insert, console switches, console pad and console guages, correct dash guages, deluxe interior, engine valve covers, air cleaner, intake, stripe kit, etc. etc. etc.
But,with the price of real ones in the six figure range, If I wanted a nice clone driver, I still might do it again.
Good luck, Rick

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be

I have done this conversion on a 69 convertible...you are not doing the work yourself, be prepared to spend at least 35K
Good luck, Rick
OH I WOULD DEFINITELY DO THE WORK MYSELF except for paint and finish. My dad was a body shop foreman for Lincoln/Merc for 35 years and I know to leave that to the pros. I feel like I hit the bullseye with you, if you are shooting straight with me.

The fact that you have went down this road, really interests me. I would keep the 302 in mine.

Do you still own and drive it, or did you sell it?
Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
For years I have dreamed of doing this. Actually, ever since my brother sold his '69 GT 500 fastback. I told myself one day I would build me one. But that was before the 11 years I've put into my '66 GT fastback. I don't really think the wife is going to tolerate another project on this level.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woulda Coulda Woulda

I would have cought the next flight to Penn to get this. It totally slipped by me. I would have been glad to pay him high 40's.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you really want to go all the way down to the last detail then $35-40K is about right. Figure $20K just in parts (I'm not kidding). If you do all the labor, body and paint yourself you MIGHT be able to do it for $25K. Maybe.

Most people I know that have done this have $50-60K in the car.

Cheaper to buy one that is already done. Bet you could get one for $35K and you will be driving it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
From what I have seen over the last two years at Mecum it's often cheaper to buy than to build when it comes to custom work.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not ALL the way!

If you really want to go all the way down to the last detail then $35-40K is about right. Bet you could get one for $35K and you will be driving it tomorrow.
I just want appearance. A stock 302 2v and stock suspension would be fine.
I guess I WOULD want the woodgrain dash and Mach 1 style seats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts