Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this car on here before and it seems to be in great shape and I've wondered why it hasn't sold. Then I noticed the gauge cluster and glovebox door....they dont have the "mustache". They look like woodgrain inserts were cut down to fit the standard cluster and glovebox door.

Is this car a fakey?

1966 GT auction

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
not sure if it is a real GT or not but I loved the interior pics with the bottle of touch up paint sitting on the drive line hump. :joker:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlouiscarmuseum/44marron66mustanggt.JPG

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well it does have the larger master cylinder and the proper brake pedal pad. The fog light switch looks correct. All the easy stuff is there. The more difficult points to prove are not visible in these pictures (and they normally are not). It doesn't have to have a pony interior to be a factory GT but that woodgrain insert is pretty tacky. Paint job in the trunk is incorrect but has nothing to do with GT status. Don't think you will be able to tell for sure without seeing the car.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't have to have a pony interior to be a factory GT but that woodgrain insert is pretty tacky.
True, not all GT's had pony interior. Mine came with standard interior. But, Doesnt every GT come with the gauge cluster and glove box door with the mustache and woodgrain?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In 65, the GT would require the 5 guage bezel. The only version of that in 65 was the mustache one.

In 66, the mustache and woodgrain were part of the Interior Decor group (pony interior), which as you said was not a requirement for a GT. The guage bezel and glove box door shown on this car are the correct standard inteior pieces (non mustache version which was not available in 65) with the woodgrain slapped on (rather badly, by the way).

Hope I said that right, does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You are correct... and said it well.

Not to be too fussy but I note that the rubber trunk seal is upside down. In combination with the trunk coating, incorrect woodgrain application, etc., I suspect the restoration shop wasn't particularly well-versed for classic Stangs.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlouiscarmuseum/50marron66mustanggt.JPG

- Gord

·
Registered
620 Posts
seems to be in great shape and I've wondered why it hasn't sold.
If this was a GT Fastback it would be gone by now. Looks to be a true GT, with standard interior.
The PO may have added the woodgrain inserts to compliment the GT steering wheel.
Still a nice car, OBTW, LOVE the Color! ::

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Nice of them to splatter-paint the entire trunk...like it's somekind of NOVA!?!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts