Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may think it's a little early - but the salt season will be here before you know it.

Remember - there are a full 6 months around Chicago during which most of us will
not be willing to drive our Mustangs.

So instead of letting the club get boring during that time - I would like to ask for
suggestions on what to do instead.

Some members (including myself) have expressed an interest in having everyone
come to their place to help with a project on their car.

Gene has offered the use of his sand blaster and I'm sure some of you also have
some other things that could be of use to us all.

Does anyone have a lift they can use at off hours?

Just some thoughts.

I would like to get some feedback from everyone on this though. Lets come up
with a list of things to do to help each other out this winter.

Thanks!

-Zim

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I can't think of anything specific, but I have a project car that I plan to work on all winter. I have a heated garage (air conditioned too) and some tools. I am still working on getting the stuff that I am going to need. If I ever get to the point that my car only takes up one space in the garage, anyone would be welcome to come use it. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also have a 'fridge in the garage for the beer and pop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Since this is my first resto, there are a lot of things I don't know about my car (mechanically and otherwise). Instructions on increased performance, rebuild techniques, etc. from members who are experienced wouldn't be bad. Kind of like a mini Mustang restoration class. We all may be able to gain a little extra knowledge on our hobby from each other.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, we could kinda rotate between each others projects...Like maybe once a month. Something like that. There are going to be similarities between most of the projects, so I'm sure that most of us could learn a lot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Definitely a great idea. I know my car alone has about a dozen 1-3 hour projects from installing a console (I have no idea where to exactly place it so it's just set in place) to changing plugs and wires. Maybe if we choose one person a month with a short project we can generate some interest and even end up with a sense of accomplishment. I know its much more enjoyable when you have a buddy helping you.

G

·
0 Posts
good idea.. hmmm, 10 ppl... 10 ppl x 10 d.a.'s x 1 hr - car stripped.. 10 ppl x 10 spray guns x 1 hr = car painted in 1 hour.. GOOD IDEA!! haha ok, that's a little far fetched, but that is a good idea..

I got a good project - how about an a/c system upgrade in a 69. My car originally had a/c, but it's original worn and broke.. I want to get all the upgrade components from vintage-air. Of course, this project requires removal of the dash to get at the condenser box.. but a project like this can be done in a couple teams - a couple working on removal of the dash and condensor stuff, the other team on the engine side of it, replacing the evaporate and plumbing.

Of course, I'd be the host - and would supply pizza and drinks (beers once assembly has begun!) I have a 2 car garage (semi-organized) and the stang has the garage all to itself. Air compressor and power tools available.

hmm - am I sharing an idea, or am I bribing for help!? haha

G

·
0 Posts
I would really like to offer my help to some of you local guys with your cars. Since I am pretty new at all of this I am not sure of what knowledge base I would be, but I would be more than happy to help turn a wrench or two.

On my personal car I was thinking of buying the GT Foglight Kit for my car this winter along with some other odds and ends. It would be really nice to have a couple people help out here and there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts