Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
John, at Open Tracker is a top notch guy. I emailed him all my suspension questions and he called me the next evening to explain the answers. He is involved with racing these classic Mustangs, which has made him one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to steering and suspension improvements. He also manufactures and sells most all the parts you'll need. And more importantly, he won't sell you parts you don't need.

·
Registered
348 Posts
John, at Open Tracker is a top notch guy. I emailed him all my suspension questions and he called me the next evening to explain the answers. He is involved with racing these classic Mustangs, which has made him one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to steering and suspension improvements. He also manufactures and sells most all the parts you'll need. And more importantly, he won't sell you parts you don't need.
+1 for John & Shari @ Opentracker

·
Registered
564 Posts
Interesting the read the contrasting response to this thread the the other similar one today .

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/805266-advice-how-fall-love-w-your-car.html
<font size="3"><!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
One guy gets dumped on and the other gets advice
</p>

That is because one guy asks a positive question while the other did not.

I determine people's motivation professionally. I can predict with a very high probability what is behind a question. There are cues and stuff.

I think that both posters got exactly what they deserved. One needed advice, and one needed a kick in the pants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pmustang....I am near Guildford in Surrey.

Can I ask which parts supplier in the UK you have found to be the best? With your location I guess Essex Mustang might be your obvious choice? Maybe you are connected? Or do you get stuff shipped from the USA?

I very much appreciate all the help here, it is really making me think, and the question for me is now one of priorities, not shall I or shan't I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It started off as just a general idea of giving it a better on-road driving feel...but in the end:

New shocks all around
New springs all around.
All associated fixings etc are new.
All new leads
New Plugs
New hoses
Total recondition of the Autobox, including new torque converter
New water pump
New oil pump
New electronic distributor
New starter motor
New (i.e rebuilt) 289 engine shipped from USA to Uk (S&J Engines...totally excellent experience).
Uprated camshaft
New Harmonic Balancer (whatever that is!)
New Edelbrok intake manifold
New Edelbrock 750cfm carb'
New air filter
New rear brake assembly and associated parts
New twin exhaust with crossover
Headers

Probably some other bits that I cannot remember too!

This was all done by a Hot Rodding company...with the express instruction to NOT make it a HotRod!
The owner is a Mustang fanatic and has owned several and knows a huge amount.
I am totally happy with them, the communication throughout has been great and their charges really reasonable.

The car is a revelation!
All the suspension is stock but it drives...well I can hardly explain the difference.

In case you are wondering how bad it was...the old shocks were so dead that once out of the car they could be pushed in and out by hand.
The old engine had almost zero compression and the timing chain could be lifted off the worn out cogs with one finger!
Frankly it is a miracle it was even driving at all....no wonder I didn't love it anymore.

The moral...drive your car!
Listen to your instinct...if the car feels sh!t...fix it because it really can be done.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I drive mine, even for a short trot, every week and sometimes daily. Many smiles-per-gallon that way !

·
Registered
829 Posts
Wow, 750 cfm is a big carb for a 289.

Glad you're liking your car again. I think we all have days, weeks, months where frustration gets to us on these old gals but in the end we can't stay out of love too long.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Well that only took a couple of years! Glad you decided to just go ahead and spend a lot of money to fix the old girl up. We need photos...I think its required...And, did you go with the roller perches, arning drop, change the rear axle ratio? Don't stop now! How about an export brace? It will be convertible weather soon enough, I hope you have a great summer!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts