Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I don't have enough projects...I ran across a local Triumph GT6 that sure caught my eye, not to mention my imagination. Real sweet looking car!

Any Triumph owners, or past owners, out here that can give me the low-down on these cars? Most of the info I've found online is UK based. I KNOW parts will not be as easy to come by as our beloved Mustangs, but this one looks pretty complete -- so I see it as more of a matter of maintaining it not restoring it.

It's a 73, by the way, stock engine. Don't know much else yet, hope to test drive it soon...

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are nice cars. Pretty much a hardtop spitfire with a TR6 engine. Fairly peppy and can be made to handle well. They will also get hot as hell inside due to heat from the drivetrain, which is great in the fall and winter but can be unbearable in the summer.

As with all older cars look everywhere for rust. Me I'd spend a little more and get a TR6, but I love ragtops.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I here ya regarding heat...and this one's a dark color (can't tell from picture but looks like a dark blue with black interior). I don't think it has A/C, and I know what you mean about unbearable heat --- even here in the upper midwest we're hitting the mid 90's almost every day.

As far as rust, I plan to take the GT6 to the same body shop that just looked at my stang (if I decide to make an offer). The guy's asking $3200 for the GT6, which is about what it's going to cost me to get the rear frame rails fixed in the stang. That really put it in perspective to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Tim, Don. I'm stopping on the way home to see the car in person. Turns out he's less than two miles from me. I'll let you know what it looks like in person and if you don't mind, if I have Triumph specific questions, can I pass them your way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The GT6 is a neat car. I almost bought one back in 82. Drive train is a TR6 and I think most of the body panels are Spitfire san the hardtop. Some of those have a unique bone clutch for the overdrive. Don't know much about it but I think it is weak. Watch out for rust (general truth for any English car) I think it would make a great track car /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If you like the unique style, you might consider an Opel GT. They can be had real cheep and share a lot of Chevy Vega parts. But I digress...

G

·
0 Posts
My Dad used to have a TR6 that sat in the garage for most of my childhood. I drove it a while in high school and it broke down almost every Friday usually leaving me stranded somewhere. I finally talked my Dad into letting me sell it and get the 67 fastback that I still have. This was back in the early 90's and now the TR6 is back in England somewhere and the Mustang is in my garage in the early stages of being restored.

As far as Triumphs go I recall parts being pretty expensive. Also the side draft Weber carbs are the biggest pain in the arse. My dad recently looked at getting another one, but quickly forgot about the little monsters when he came across his 66 vette.

Brian

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I personally wouldnt mind getting one of those austrailian ford falcons (like Mad Max drove!)

Cleveland powered, looks like a cross between a torino and a 71-73 Mach!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts