Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm new to this forum but not to cars or mustangs. I have quite a few. I near completion of my 74 Maverick Grabber and recently a Mustang I gave a family member has been given back to me. I owed her money so in return I gave her the car in 2009 or so. Shortly after it started overheating on her and she parked it. 3 weeks ago she said come get it I could have it back. Here's the story on the car. A friend won it at a car show raffle but was too large to drive it so it sat in his garage. After 10 years I purchased it and had to redo the entire fuel system. I drove it for several years until I got into an accident with my grandfathers truck. Wanting to keep it off insurance, a family member paid to have the other persons car fixed and in trade I gave her the car. I have many questions as to originality and how to go about fixing it up. This isn't like a Maverick that isn't worth much and I was wanting to dump a 302 in it and just drive it for the summer but should I keep the 289 in it and rebuild it? I'll attach pictures if I can figure out how. The car was parked with it overheating, the brakes I can see leaking and gas lines or tank is rotted and leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Data tag is missing and the only thing I can find is the fender apron matching the title
7R01C158xxx

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 speed with upper and lower consoles. Nice start.
Ran really good when I had it. yep upper and lower, I put a centerforce duel friction clutch in it, 2100 2Bbl carb. The Edelbrock water pump added I suspect because of the overheating.

·
Registered
35,117 Posts
Hello all I'm new to this forum but not to cars or mustangs. I have quite a few. I near completion of my 74 Maverick Grabber and recently a Mustang I gave a family member has been given back to me. I owed her money so in return I gave her the car in 2009 or so. Shortly after it started overheating on her and she parked it. 3 weeks ago she said come get it I could have it back. Here's the story on the car. A friend won it at a car show raffle but was too large to drive it so it sat in his garage. After 10 years I purchased it and had to redo the entire fuel system. I drove it for several years until I got into an accident with my grandfathers truck. Wanting to keep it off insurance, a family member paid to have the other persons car fixed and in trade I gave her the car. I have many questions as to originality and how to go about fixing it up. This isn't like a Maverick that isn't worth much and I was wanting to dump a 302 in it and just drive it for the summer but should I keep the 289 in it and rebuild it? I'll attach pictures if I can figure out how. The car was parked with it overheating, the brakes I can see leaking and gas lines or tank is rotted and leaking.
Welcome aboard! Your question is one that is common among people who like Mustangs. One of the reasons why they're so popular is because there are so MANY of them. Some are very unique and "desirable", like "K" codes, highly optioned 2+2's, etc. Some are just like many of the cars sold long ago... plain Jane's. That said......

It's a base '67 Mustang with a couple interior options (upper & lower console). They made a crapload more of these than '74 Maverick Grabbers so thinking it has a potential greater value than the Maverick isn't a valid argument. Based on the photos and your description of the issues with the car your investment in making it "roadworthy" is going to be significant, even being able to do a lot of the work yourself, and could potentially exceed the value of the vehicle when completed. If you're thinking of keeping the car and "restoring" (most likely "restomodding") it and your impetus for doing so it your love for the brand, nostalgia, keeping your hands busy, etc. then, sure, go for it. If you're looking to make money or have something worth significantly more than what you've dumped into it then I'd say ship it and get something else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard! Your question is one that is common among people who like Mustangs. One of the reasons why they're so popular is because there are so MANY of them. Some are very unique and "desirable", like "K" codes, highly optioned 2+2's, etc. Some are just like many of the cars sold long ago... plain Jane's. That said......

It's a base '67 Mustang with a couple interior options (upper & lower console). They made a crapload more of these than '74 Maverick Grabbers so thinking it has a potential greater value than the Maverick isn't a valid argument. Based on the photos and your description of the issues with the car your investment in making it "roadworthy" is going to be significant, even being able to do a lot of the work yourself, and could potentially exceed the value of the vehicle when completed. If you're thinking of keeping the car and "restoring" (most likely "restomodding") it and your impetus for doing so it your love for the brand, nostalgia, keeping your hands busy, etc. then, sure, go for it. If you're looking to make money or have something worth significantly more than what you've dumped into it then I'd say ship it and get something else.
I'm not really looking to restore it and sell it, I know I'll have way more in it than it's worth. I have been working on cars since I was probably 13. So the mechanical work is not a problem. the body is straight and has very little rust surprisingly which is good because I am NO body man by far. I just thought of getting it running and driving for now. I have a ton of left over parts from my 68 build years ago.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see no reason to replace the 289 if its not hurt. Overheating could be as simple as a bad t stat.
no T stat in the car. water pump was replaced. I suspect a possible bad head gasket but if so it could have leaked into the cylinders. wont know really til I get a battery and get it towed home.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Put in a 190 degree thermostat then find out if there is an overheating issue

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
To make it "period correct" put shackles and air shocks on the back and put that L60-15 tire sitting at the left rear corner on it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To make it "period correct" put shackles and air shocks on the back and put that L60-15 tire sitting at the left rear corner on it!
lol thanks. I think I might pass. I do have a set of original 69' Mach 1 Cragars I might put on it though. In the meantime I want to get it running and driving but wasn't sure it was worth it given it was a pretty generic mustang. The plus is the interior is almost mint. The corners of the dash pad have shrunk a bit and pulled back.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Put in the thermostat. it may be overheating due to the coolant cycling too quickly and not having time to cool down in the radiator.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put in the thermostat. it may be overheating due to the coolant cycling too quickly and not having time to cool down in the radiator.
When the car was originally parked it was overheating with a 180 degree T stat in it. The stat I replaced for her thinking it was sticking even though it was new. It was removed a short time later with no difference. that's what led me to a head gasket. But the car has been sitting since 2009 like that.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Almost all these cars need new radiators. Start with a new thermostat and radiator. Then see what you have. You’ll need to flush the system as well. Once running consider flushing with Thermocool to get as much rust as possible out. Disconnect the heater before running the engine as it is likely bad And could leak all over the floor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome nice start , It could be something as simple as a plugged radiator or bad/installed backwards head gasket. if it's more a GT40P swap is a cheap easy fix
Almost all these cars need new radiators. Start with a new thermostat and radiator. Then see what you have. You’ll need to flush the system as well. Once running consider flushing with Thermocool to get as much rust as possible out. Disconnect the heater before running the engine as it is likely bad And could leak all over the floor.
When I put the stat in and the water pump it was flushed. I didn't do the radiator at the time. I'll look at that. Got to get that thing home now I guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So get it home and flush the system and start from there I suppose. I do remember that the car ran good all winter for her and didn't start to overheat until the spring (I'm going on memory from ten years ago) and I wondered if something was wrong before then and just didn't know it. Could a clogged radiator let it run good in the winter but not the summer?

1 - 20 of 156 Posts