Vintage Mustang Forums banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I bet it feels great! Good for you!
It does. I know I didn't need to post it on youtube but I was excited. I want to get it on the road and make sure it doesn't overheat. as of now with the engine at 3k RPM's for 20 minutes it barely broke 130 degrees but that is with out a T stat.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
A better test would be idling it for twenty minutes ... the fan and pump won't be as much of a factor, so you're checking radiator effectiveness more.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
A better test would be idling it for twenty minutes ... the fan and pump won't be as much of a factor, so you're checking radiator effectiveness more.
I got the correct pigtail today, maybe I'll put it on here in a bit, top of the radiators distilled water, and start it an let it idle. Should I put the T stat in it?
I havent yet because of the rust particles and such..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah, put the T stat in. And take of the pantyhose, if it breaks down, it can clog the rad. Don't need it as well as the filter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Yeah, put the T stat in. And take of the pantyhose, if it breaks down, it can clog the rad. Don't need it as well as the filter.
Okay it's been running for about 30 minutes outside with no T-stat in it I'll put it in tomorrow and try again. gauge never left the post. I got the wrong pigtail again, I think for a 6 cylinder. The oil switch wire is way to short to make it to the switch. Sigh!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
well I guess its like lipstick on a pig but hey it works.
Almost didn't get them on though. Hour after I got home with the 500's in the back of the truck someone made off with one in the appt. complex behind me. I took my CCW and my AMD65 with me, got into a spirited argument with a "gentleman" about my open carry choice and several minutes later the wheel was tossed onto my side yard and I installed it on the car. Cops came a bit later, but I got the property back and open carry being legal they were happy and we shared a laugh. Tomorrow we get tags and from there road test to make sure no overheating will happen (fingers crossed)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The patina on the wheels match the car nicely. Check how old the tyres are, they can make a mess of the body real quick.
Consider a cowl cover if its gunna be parked near trees ... it's probably how most cowl rust starts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
The patina on the wheels match the car nicely. Check how old the tyres are, they can make a mess of the body real quick.
Consider a cowl cover if its gunna be parked near trees ... it's probably how most cowl rust starts.
Well "hopefully" the trees will be cut down this summer. I just had the tires put on yesterday. And I know the drivers cowl seeps a bit so regardless I will get that cowl cover.
Took it for a sneak test drive in the neighborhood an hour ago. Stalls a bit out of first gear. As expected the carb has a bit of a flat spot in it. Might be able to work through it though. I get tags tomorrow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
after the 20 minute test drive in 80 some degree weather the gauge registered this with no T stat yet. I haven't installed it because I'm trying to catch anything loose in the motor .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Go ahead and install the T-stat, it won't change the amount of crap coming from the engine.
It's also not good for it to run at lower temps. A lot more wear happens on a colder engine than one at normal temps ... that's what T-stats are for, to set minimum operating temps ... not maximum.
Congrats!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
whoa whoa whoa .....someone from the appt complex steals one wheel and tire from the bed of the truck....you suit up with a sidearm and go walking back there thinking this is the most likely culprit zone, get confronted, manage not to shoot the guy, and then the thugs throw it back over? Wild wild west stuff right there! Go ahead, make my day, if you feel lucky....well do ya, feel lucky..punk...I hope you have some security cameras up for the future..things aren't getting better, they are getting worse..glad the car is coming along nicely....hope its not next!!!

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
The good news is your engine does not run hot. Now get the thermostat installed. Engines were designed to run 190 F (or more.) The entire purpose of the thermostat is to control the minimum operating temperature.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
yeah, my guess is whoever took the wheel and noticed I was looking for it with great resolve and the argument that ensued and tossed it back, which means it was probably kids messing around. Yes my house is wrapped with cameras and someone is almost always home.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts