Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on using this 6 blade fan from Scott Drake: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c6zz-8600-c/overview/year/1965/make/ford/model/mustang

with this fan clutch that I already have: https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/clutch_assy_fan_thermostatic_replacement-106610-1.html.

Has anybody used this particular fan or clutch with good results? The clutch was for my 68 that I sold. And I checked, it can be used on a 65-66 cars. So, any savings I will take. This will be on a "stockish" build 302 without AC. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That fan is not made to be used with a clutch. You will need one specific for clutches. I don't have a p/n of the one I have as I bought it about 17 years ago.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That fan is not made to be used with a clutch. You will need one specific for clutches. I don't have a p/n of the one I have as I bought it about 17 years ago.

Ahh bummer. It's all good. Thank you anyways.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woodchuck usually recommends using Flex-a-Lite 5717 and this clutch fan Hayden 2710
That fan clutch is actually the same one I have. The fan description says not to exceed 4000 RPM. Even though my car is street driven car, I might get to that or more since it will be a toploader with 3.5 rear gears.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are you running stock crank and water pump pulleys? I believe the 66 used the same diameter pulleys for both. Someone will chime in to confirm.

I am sure the clutch fan can handle more that 4k rpms. I take mine up to 4500 and have not had any issues (knock on wood)

Hopefully someone else will comment.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
We've covered this subject several times on VMF.
The usual aftermarket "go to" is the 5717 fan. I've got one
on the 66 and on the 68, inside the factory fan shrouds.
Thermostatic clutch hub or non, depending upon your preference.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1041601-anybody-running-clutch-fan-66-a.html

Although the engine may turn more than 4 grand, the critical
part of the fan does not..... so the 4000 rpm hub limit is probably
more a legal disclaimer than physical reality. Both of my cars do
over 6000 engine rpm frequently and those fan setups have been
on there for 10 years easy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you running stock crank and water pump pulleys? I believe the 66 used the same diameter pulleys for both. Someone will chime in to confirm.

I am sure the clutch fan can handle more that 4k rpms. I take mine up to 4500 and have not had any issues (knock on wood)

Hopefully someone else will comment.
Pulleys are from CVF racing. So I guess it is not a stock pulley.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've covered this subject several times on VMF.
The usual aftermarket "go to" is the 5717 fan. I've got one
on the 66 and on the 68, inside the factory fan shrouds.
Thermostatic clutch hub or non, depending upon your preference.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1041601-anybody-running-clutch-fan-66-a.html

Although the engine may turn more than 4 grand, the critical
part of the fan does not..... so the 4000 rpm hub limit is probably
more a legal disclaimer than physical reality. Both of my cars do
over 6000 engine rpm frequently and those fan setups have been
on there for 10 years easy.
Regarding the RPM limit disclaimer, that's all I need to know. I will be using a home made shroud or buy one from champion. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a late 60's to mid 70's GM 18" fan and thermostatic fan clutch I bought of CL. It works fine and fits pretty well. it's QUIET too.
Thank you for the picture. It always helps. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
Thank you for the picture. It always helps. I appreciate it.

Glad to help. Technically I should have a shroud since the blades are about 1.25" from the core. But so far I've had no issues with cooling and I'm cheap so if I don't need it I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to help. Technically I should have a shroud since the blades are about 1.25" from the core. But so far I've had no issues with cooling and I'm cheap so if I don't need it I'm not buying it.
I drive the car with Cragar truck wheels. Less than $60 a pop. I am on the cheap band wagon too.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a new clutch fan from the Mustang Shop in Calgary. I was pleased to discover it was an all steel fan, i believe NPD sells the same one. I couldn't find the Hayden clutch around here so I bought a Four seasons clutch from NAPA.
I bought my clutch from NPD probably 3 years ago. It's not a Four Seasons brand. It's called Parts Master with 2710 number which is the same as the Hayden brand. Hopefully it still works.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought my clutch from NPD probably 3 years ago. It's not a Four Seasons brand. It's called Parts Master with 2710 number which is the same as the Hayden brand. Hopefully it still works.
The Parts Master fan is a Hayden fan.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'm using a late 60's to mid 70's GM 18" fan and thermostatic fan clutch I bought of CL. It works fine and fits pretty well. it's QUIET too.
And no shroud!?!?!? Are you INSANE!?!?!?

8^P=

1 - 18 of 18 Posts